Sign in to follow this  
Portent

Opinions on the mk5 R32?

I currently have a lovely 53 plate mk4 4Mo which has been a great car, very low 48k mileage and great spec: 5 door, Blue pearl with black leather interior, aircon, 'sports pack' (factory uprated suspension and Santa Monica alloys), 'winter pack' (heated leather and headlight washers), cruise control, auto dimming mirror, factory uprated audio, etc... in other words a fantastic daily driver which would make a perfect companion to a weekend car like the Corrado.

But, a little unexpectedly today I saw and test drove a mk5 R32 and although I've previously been looking for a Corrado I'm half tempted by the idea of replacing my 4Mo with the R32 instead (this would mean shelving plans for a Corrado for a few years). The exact spec of the one I saw is:

* 5 door (I need a 5 door because of the family) although most people prefer less doors on these

* Black with black leather (perfect combination for me)

* Optional upgraded recaro seats

* Manual (no DSG) although I'm happy with this is might affect resale value later?

* No satnav (again a negative for resale)

The reason I'm tempted is that I need to pay out at least a £1k next month on the 4Mo for a service, four new tyres, tax and MOT... and anything else they may find of course. I was also offered what I think is a better than expected trade in price for the 4Mo (£4.3k - quite good for a dealer trade in I thought).

So ladies and gentlemen, please tell me a little about the mk5 R32 and whether you'd have the 4Mo and a Corrado VR6, or have the R32 instead. There are pro's and cons of each and the depreciation and running costs of the R32 will be the higher of the options. But it's not essential I have two cars and I have to say it was indeed a lovely car. I don't yet know if I can afford it though.

I have a Golf V6 4 mo on a Y plate and a Corrado on an L plate.

I've driven a Mk5 GTI and it was a great car, and clearly the R32 is even better, but I decided to have two cars rather than 1 for the following reasons:

1. The 4mo is a terrific car - all the gadgets I need, sweet torquey engine, 6 speeds are great on the motorway, nice recaro seats and climate control.

2. The 4mo is a sleeper - I have a different kind of fun to that which I have in my Rado when a big exec cruiser is in my rear view mirror trying to intimidate me, I drop a gear and it becomes a pin prick in the rear view. The look of astonishment on their faces at traffic lights etc is priceless.

3. The 4mo still feels modern. it has arguably better build quality than the mk5s did.

4. With the right wheels and a wax, it brushes up nice!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC00665.JPG[/attachment:3a2efvc8]

DSC00942.JPG[/attachment:3a2efvc8]

My Rado

1. It looks fantastic

2. It gives much more feedback when driving than the 4mo, and sounds great too above 4K.

3. I get people talking to me about it. That never happens with the 4mo and would happen even less with a Mk5 R32 I'm sure!

4. I can't help but look back at it in the carpark. I doubt I'd do that even with a Mk5 R32!

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC00575.JPG[/attachment:3a2efvc8]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC00360.JPG[/attachment:3a2efvc8]

Mmmmm i'm currently looking for a 4motion, got some pics and a rough price mate.

I haven't made a decision to sell the car yet so unsure on the price. And this wasn't meant to turn into a for sale thread. But seeing as you asked... :)

I know the dealer will give me £4,300 so price would obviously need to be higher than that. I've just taken a few pictures. They are poor quality I'm afraid as they were taken on my phone and in the shade under some trees. But if I do decide the sell then I'll take some proper ones and wash the car, etc.

Pictures can be found here:

http://www.ajb.nildram.co.uk/pictures/IMAG0114.jpg

http://www.ajb.nildram.co.uk/pictures/IMAG0116.jpg

http://www.ajb.nildram.co.uk/pictures/IMAG0117.jpg

http://www.ajb.nildram.co.uk/pictures/IMAG0118.jpg

http://www.ajb.nildram.co.uk/pictures/IMAG0119.jpg

It has been a fantastic car, generally very reliable. I bought it from VAG (it was a demonstrator) when in was 6 months old with around 12k on the clock. I've been the only owner since then and it has now done about 48,600 miles. It had the 'large' 40k service last time around and it is now due for its regular service (it's actually booked in for next month if I don't sell the car). It also needs 4 new tyres as stated (I always change all 4 to keep an even tread).

I'm trying to think of any mechanical work that I've had to do to it and all I can think of is a new battery about 1.5 years ago, a new lower radiator hose last month (something split it rather than corrosion), brake pedal switch last year (a common mk4 Golf issue) and it's about to have the clutch pedal replaced this week (the clutch pedal problem is a common mk4 Golf issue and is caused by the weld on the pedal breaking off). I've always fixed any marks or scratches to the bodywork so it is in very good condition indeed (I always use the same bodyshop which is on the other side of London from me as I trust their work completely). It is garaged a in a nice wide double garage so no door scrapes :)

It has only been VAG serviced and the only time I've used an independent is for some brake pads last year and the brake pedal switch at the same time. There is currently a rattle from the exhaust which I am trying to track down but the exhaust itself is in excellent condition.

The interior is again very good indeed. The alloys do have a little kerbing and some corrosion but the Santa Monica's are quite well known for this.

So overall I couldn't say it is immaculate. But it is generally very, very good condition. I wasn't actually thinking of selling it until I saw this R32. Indeed I was asked a couple of weeks ago if I wanted to sell it and I said no.

EDIT: Just remembered it also has the optional armrest and automatic rain sensitive wipers.

Right, decision made. I am not going to get the R32. Instead I will keep the 4Mo and keep searching for the right Corrado :)