Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Engine stuttering...

Alright guys,

Just been to take out my VR6 for a drive to get some more fuel, however it started 'stuttering' soon after i started him up. It felt like a misfire kinda of kangaroo jump at 1st, but after it had warmed up a bit, i took it on a 60 limit road to see if it would open up, it was ok and then i basically lost all power - with my foot down u could hear a slight gurgle of the engine, but there was no engine noise or revs - they just died! Engine stayed ticking over tho...

I pulled over to the side of the road, and after about 10 seconds or so the revs kicked back in and i was off again! I filled him up, started the drive back, no problems.

I decided to pull over and have a quick look under the hood (bare in mind im mechanically retarded) and started giving it some juice from the throttle cable to see if it would cut out and while i was under the hood maybe find an explanation :confused4: He started spluttering and then died! Without a spanner or anything else on me decided to take out the MAF sensor plug and give it a quick clean, then plugged it back in (the extent of my know-how! :lol: )

The drive back was fine, no more spluttering, went for a 10minute blast and no problems.

Could this be related to my sensor then, are these the symptoms of it not working/plugged in properly?

What else could these symtoms be related to?

Im guessing its either a fuel or air intake situation..? Fuel filter was changed not so long ago so can rule that one out...

Hi,

My car is doing the same thing. If left overnight it will drive for a few hundred metres and then it will lose all power. It will just about tick over but no power to drive.

Were you able to figure out your problem or does anyone on here have any ideas what it might be.

Cheers,

Robert

sounds like fuel starvation problem,doesnt have to be just the fuel filter.maybe fuel pump not up to the job anymore by the sound of it

I had this recently......

Had Tesco 99RON in the tank. Engine was a dog. Put in Texaco 97 and the engine was smooth as a babies bum as it should be.

Also the same in a Mk2 Scirocco and a Mk3 Scirocco about the same time. I think in my case the Tesco 99 petrol has been "doctored" and has more ethanol in it now than it did pre- June'10. Not had any problems since with the engines on Texaco.

If it runs fine now on an alternative petrol source, the old moto prevails, leave it alone and avoid that petrol brand.

quite true about cheap brand petrol.they are allowed put up to 5% ethanol by volume by law without having to publish it.they also stick in very small amounts of methanol and other detergents. ethanol eats rubber for breakfast.bad on old cars

Yeh mate, was really worried about this...

After the last bit in my little story, I've had no more problems thus far mate. As u say RW1, I think it must've been a bit of dodgy fuel. I can't remember where I would've filled it up last, it was either the same garage as I did in the story (ESSO), or Morrisons...

I normally fill up at a branded garage but on the odd occasion when they're full I'll pop to Morrisons (they're both a respectable 113.9p atm)

I only had around 30-40miles left in the tank at the time so maybe it was the dreggs of some mingin' fuel...been for a fair few blasts since then and all good :D