Sign in to follow this  
Fulltimejunglist

Audi Quattro

Is it possible to fit this into a corrado, i mean tha 4wd and the engine and does it have things which are impossible to do, well for somone who has never done an engine conversion before?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-AUDI-A4-AVAN ... 4aa369cab9

Ive noticed if i were to buy one, its be cheaper than me uying the bits seperatly...

Cheers, Aidan

for the corrado you will likely want haldex 4wd and a transversely mounted engine, so an a4 will not do. Look for an audi tt.

for somone who has never done an engine conversion before?

nothing wrong with ambition :cuckoo: :)

haha its true i ust dont want to waist my money buying it to not be able to fit the 4wd....

Is the haldex in the tt?

Why would the 4wd not work fom the a4?

And ive also been told it involves chopping your floor pan out to install the 4wd system?

Well i was wanting 4wd with any basically bigger more powerfull engine with more potential....

Im not a fan of the 20v turbo tbh as their expensive too common and not many people make/keep them 4wd...

Plus those a4s go for about £4 - 500 which is pretty good considering.

Id want a vr but i wouldnt be happy with it unless i turbo'd it (Cus im petty)

Im all for an engine which wasnt put it by VW as it would cost me about 2-400 for a vr6 out of a golf or corrado with all the bits so id imagine id be better off buying one of the instead, id want the r32 but their expensive also.

£250 for a mint 4 motion engine without ancilaries which aint too bad as id iagine you could find the bits for one of those fairly easily.

Basicalloy whats the cheapest, easiest way of me gettign 4wd from a beast? thanks.

Also cheers for the information people, much appreciated.

Buying a tt and nodding that is the easiest and cheapest. It's really not easy to convert to AWD and realistically about 4k when all said and done.

Sorry but all true

Easiest and simplest is to get the old syncro set up from a mk2 g60/rallye or passat b3, you can also get vr6 syncro boxes from german mk3 vr syncros

alternativly you can go with the modern haldex system from 24v 4motions/r32s tts etc even using this set up you will possibly need some parts from old syncro systems, boot floor pan etc unless you ho your own way with that

or you could use the set up your lookin at on eBay, with alot of work like this guy has done http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402

non are all that easy, and none are cheap, but don't let that put u off, ied like to go four wheel drive, I'm still geekin up on it, reading as much as possible still not got my head around the best parts list yet

apart from standing launches and more grip for to put power down in bad weather, is it really worth while?

just spend it all on the engine and drive with a bit more caution :lol:

Some people enjoy modifing/converting/spending every avialable hour in the garage, under the car, pulling there hair out, drinkin tea, dippin biscuits with oilly fingers they've just crushed n skinned there knuckles. Almost as must as they do driving there car

Which Is great except this guy says he don't do that lol.

Much much better corner grip as well.

Imo you will never need 4wd out on the road. I mean the corrado has a seriously capable chassis which when tuned *correctly* is seriously more than enough out on the road. If u can push a well sorted corrado to its limits on UK roads u need to lose your license asap imo.

If you're tracking it or planning on running silly bhp then fair do's, it'l come in handy :lol:

Seriously though, if your capable of doing it with relative ease or enjoy getting your hands dirty day in day out 6 months straight then DO IT, if not, get a 4motion golf engine, stick it in over a month or so and drive the sh*t out of it.

Just my 2 pence, nothing wrong with ambition but at the same time, you dont want to be over ambitious, buy all the bits you need, start the install, discover u need more parts and dont know how to carry on the install etc etc and then sell everything at a loss.

I guess what im tryin to say is the same as everyone else, there is no cheap wa to 4wd.

Essentially, you could fit any engine into any car.

The only real limiting factor is how deep your pockets are, as you will have to make lots of custom parts for uncommon conversions.

The only real limiting factor is how deep your pockets are, as you will have to make lots of custom parts for uncommon conversions.

THIS

I mean i really want a corrado shell dropped onto a gallardo for some reason :lol:

IF i had unlimited corrado funds as i like to call them that would be me right there lol.

Ben u picked up the Vr yet?

THIS

I mean i really want a corrado shell dropped onto a gallardo for some reason :lol:

IF i had unlimited corrado funds as i like to call them that would be me right there lol.

Ben u picked up the Vr yet?

This coming Saturday :D

I probably do deserve to lose my license then lol I did have a properly tuned corrado and I did push it to it's limits, I am from the train of thought that there is only 1 great big huge race track. Not saying it's right just what I think.

Then I had a TT which had great cornering skills untuned haldex and the corrado was better but only just.

Now have a Subaru again untuned chassis wise and it's the best of the lot, so much more entry speed that can and does carry through the corner and is much more better grip wise in all conditions, I used to think you don't need AWD for cornering but that was because I never had driven AWD before now I have had it it's all I want.

Yes the corrado is capable and fun but it's an aged chassis compared to modern vehiclesit can work good still though but really takes alot of effort to get to AWD standard

I probably do deserve to lose my license then lol I did have a properly tuned corrado and I did push it to it's limits, I am from the train of thought that there is only 1 great big huge race track. Not saying it's right just what I think.

Then I had a TT which had great cornering skills untuned haldex and the corrado was better but only just.

Now have a Subaru again untuned chassis wise and it's the best of the lot, so much more entry speed that can and does carry through the corner and is much more better grip wise in all conditions, I used to think you don't need AWD for cornering but that was because I never had driven AWD before now I have had it it's all I want.

Yes the corrado is capable and fun but it's an aged chassis compared to modern vehiclesit can work good still though but really takes alot of effort to get to AWD standard

So really Simon, you need a Turbo'd G60 with AWD :wink:

I was waiting for someone to say that, haha, everyone on the road is a potential race ha,

were in Rotherham are you from? I'm eastdene/Clifton before I jumped ship to sheff, don't know why I bothered I still spend beat part if my time back in roth

I was waiting for someone to say that, haha, everyone on the road is a potential race ha,

were in Rotherham are you from? I'm eastdene/Clifton before I jumped ship to sheff, don't know why I bothered I still spend beat part if my time back in roth

Admitedly i was a bit of a hypocrite when i made that statement as i do push my rado pretty damn hard too but never too the point where im about to plough into a wall or another car etc lol.

Slides are a daily thing :lol:

"I am from the train of thought that there is only 1 great big huge race track. Not saying it's right just what I think. "

ahaha Agreed.

And mate, you jsut stated that you dont drive it to the limits, gettin your back out is the limits..... which means your suitable for ban also really...

And at the end of the day you dont want your car to be a pussy you want to keep up with anything you find, bikes, porsches etc etc and to do so, you either meet someone who cant drive that owns a 911 etc or you make your car meet the standards nessesary to leave them with a frown on his/her face.

I love it, might be a little wrong but, ive driven 'old cars' since i passed my test and love them, also love the look on peoples faces when you go straight past them smiling when they think they should abliterate you.

Good fun, even if it is technically wrong.

Also DRIFTING..... fools.

Im getting pissed off with front wheel drive cars, their boring but i love VW's.

I need more sideways action and handbreaks on old cars arnt as good as 350bhp behind 4 wheels :)

Im getting pissed off with front wheel drive cars, their boring but i love VW's.

I need more sideways action and handbreaks on old cars arnt as good as 350bhp behind 4 wheels :)

I'm not really getting what you're after to be honest?

a) you say drifting is for fools, but you want more sideways action (which is the fundamental definition of drifting??) :confused4:

but then also

b) you say you want more sideways action - but the whole reason people AWD their front wheel drive cars is to dramatically improve grip, not to slide it around corners?? the effort you have to go to to slide an AWD round a corner on a road is so severe you're well past any limits or predictability - thats what the whole quattro system is put on audis for??

I'm not trying to speak for you but it sounds like to have the kind of experience you want on the road you want the chuckability of rear wheel drive rather than all 4 wheels driven??

I'm not really getting what you're after to be honest?

a) you say drifting is for fools, but you want more sideways action (which is the fundamental definition of drifting??) :confused4:

but then also

b) you say you want more sideways action - but the whole reason people AWD their front wheel drive cars is to dramatically improve grip, not to slide it around corners?? the effort you have to go to to slide an AWD round a corner on a road is so severe you're well past any limits or predictability - thats what the whole quattro system is put on audis for??

I'm not trying to speak for you but it sounds like to have the kind of experience you want on the road you want the chuckability of rear wheel drive rather than all 4 wheels driven??

Too much of a certain street racer film me thinks. :lol: :lol:

I quite clearly lol'd at my own hypocrisy; being able to make ur car slide about as a you please for jokes at medium to high speeds is completely different to pushing it to the point where u need 4wd to pull ur ass in round a bend or else you'll be sliding off into other cars/barriers etc. Like i said, the corrado when set up well is a capable car in fwd form, if while driving fast without show boating you manage to get it to step out you are driving too fast and you do need to lose your license.

The only reason i can see u wanting 4wd in a corrado is if you're running a VRT with 300+ bhp, in which case you'll be spending 10k plus easy i reckon. If u have the cash and know how then go for it.

"you say drifting is for fools"

You read on your own lines mate, as i have said no where i think drifting is for fools, i bloody love it.

Hence why i said im getting nacked off with handbreaks on old vws, also why i said i want to get 4 wheel drive, there is all point to getting 4wd, puts power down better when moving, is more fun as you can have a wee play at slow speeds or on a track or toher land of which you want/find.

I like vws and want to be able to have a car which makes me feel im driving a proper car and a front wheel drive car doesnt, 4 wheel drive means i keep the corrado and can play without having to get a skyline etc, even though i would want one alot.

Cheers for the responses etc, intresting will be reading through bits on how to do it over time, thanks.

Also no planning on doing this now, i wanted to know for future plans and im not rich also so have pretty much very limited funds unlike some of us, i also do all the stuff to my cars myself as i cant afford to pay to get it done for me, im 22 and dont spend my life as a mechanic so i obviously lack the knowledge of how to install 4wd into an old car without 4wd, hence me asking.

My motives are fair and will hopfully lead to a 4wd r32 corrado when funds and time provide.

Regards Aidan