Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

The "If you sprint/drag race your Corrado" thread

Just wondered what techniques you're using and what gives you your best times.

I'm currently running a VR6 with a Quaife box and nitrous kit, decat pipe and ram air. I'm finding the engine doesn't produce any power above 6000rpm. If I try and give it high revs it feels just like when you over rev a tdi out of the powerband. With the close ratio box I'm only dropping around 1000rpm between changes, but I'm finding I get better times and terminal speeds if I short shift at around 5000rpm and let the torque from 4000rpm to 5000rpm do the work (and on the gas there is a LOT of torque).

Yet when I think back to my old mk2 vr with 268's, schrick VGI and superchip that would pull clean to over 7000rpm and I'd alway use all those revs (again with a 6 speed box, Gemini that time).

Best time in the mk2 was 13.74@98

Best time in the rado so far is 13.56@107 (with gas) and a feeble 2.5 60' time (I'd ran a 2.034 in the mk2).

I'm hoping for a low 13 once I have my 15" drag Tyres on and set the nitrous up better.

Hi Paul,

I have a set of 284 Cat cams if you're interested. Only have about 1400 miles on them - they're in the box now.

Whereas with normal VR6 tuning the performance dies off at around 5500, these babies come up on the cam at around 4k and then push hard all the way to the redline. In my case I had the ECU cutoff set to 7400 and they were strong then.

If you're interested or want photos then drop me a line. I'll do you a nice deal. The only downside to them is that you will have to use solid lifters as they are just too big to run with tappets at the revs in question.

Cheers

John

Cheers John but I don'nt want to put any money into anything that isn't going to be transferred into the other shell. That's getting a supercharged 3.2 so I can't justify spending any money on VR6 upgrades really when there's so much other stuff I still need. My mate offered me a set but I wasn't sure if they'd work with stock lifters and springs. You've just confirmed they won't.