Sign in to follow this  
stevelawrie

engine cuts out when warm

hi guys wonder if you can shed any light on this. i have a 1990 1.8 16 valve corrado and when i start it and leave it too idle once its warm it just cuts out and wont restart leave it for 10 mins and it starts again runs for about 15 mins sweet then dies again but if u drive it it doesnt cut out at all any ideas of the problem?

steve

If you can swap out the fuel pump relay for a spare, try doing so. Fuse Relay panel position 12, bottom row, door end. That's the easy one.

The second is the Hall Effect sender inside the Distributor. The visible bit of it is the connection to the electrical lead on the side of the distributor body. Spare H.E. is 052 998 065 but at about £100 ish, I think you will think twice! Whole distributor replacement from a scrapper 16v may be th eway to go. Part No. 051 805 205C . Best here to confirm when the fault occurs by pulling an ignition lead, pop a spare plug in the plug cap and crank the engine and see if its sparking. If sparking, the H.E. is working. The alternative if a replacement H.E. doesn't work and still not spark, will be the TCIH unit but these don't usually behave as you describe.

Those are the typical to the symptoms you describe.

also when it cuts out and i try to restart it i can hear the fuel pump working so its looking like your second option

you know of any breakers yards as none up here have corrados in them