Sign in to follow this  
Portent

Chains cost?

Everyone seems to be concerned about getting their chains done. But what is a ballpark figure for doing it (assuming taking to a garage).

£700- £1000-ish is the usual for chains + clutch. Been discussed loads- try using 'chains + cost' in the search :)

Spoke to DG Autotech about this the other week, for piece of mind if not anything else, £1175 inc VAT which they would do the clutch, thermostat, thermostst housing, washers etc etc, all genuine VW parts

AJ

Spoke to DG Autotech about this the other week, for piece of mind if not anything else, £1175 inc VAT which they would do the clutch, thermostat, thermostst housing, washers etc etc, all genuine VW parts

AJ

yup, other places normally quote around £850 as Cazza says but that is literally the clutch and chain setup only, not all the other bits that are much easier to do while the main jobs are being done.

Thanks. Sorry for not searching :)

So, if an engine has had a previous bottom end rebuild and then has the chains, clutch, and "thermostat, thermostat housing, washers etc etc" then it should be pretty sorted for a while? Anything else major that a high mileage engine would need?

EDIT: And is there anywhere closer to Surrey that could be recommended for such work (if I need it one day)?

if it had a bottom end rebuild already then it would be quite surprising that the chains/clutch etc werent done then?

but a head rebuild would be the other thing (although that too would normally have been done before the bottom end?) but it would normally be valve stem seals in the head that go first and they can be done without taking the head off if you dont want to split the engine again.

EDIT: And is there anywhere closer to Surrey that could be recommended for such work (if I need it one day)?

I live in Bracknell and only 4 miles from the Surrey border by Bagshot. I enjoy my days out at DG. Nice 100 mile+ blast up the M40 and last time I spent a day on the Severn Valley Railway - it must be the only place in the UK you can ride on a steam train and see elephants, giraffes and rhinos along your journey as you pass the West Midlands Wildlife Park. I wouldn't go anywhere else for major work on my 'rado but there is The Phirm on the Hampshire/Surrey border along the A30 if you wanted to go somewhere nearer. On their website they quote about VR chain replacement.

I live in Bracknell and only 4 miles from the Surrey border by Bagshot. I enjoy my days out at DG. Nice 100 mile+ blast up the M40 and last time I spent a day on the Severn Valley Railway - it must be the only place in the UK you can ride on a steam train and see elephants, giraffes and rhinos along your journey as you pass the West Midlands Wildlife Park. I wouldn't go anywhere else for major work on my 'rado but there is The Phirm on the Hampshire/Surrey border along the A30 if you wanted to go somewhere nearer. On their website they quote about VR chain replacement.

Thanks. How long would chains, clutch take? Just a day? I assumed I'd have to leave it there for a few days.

its normally about 6-8 hours work so unlikely anywhere would commit to giving it back to you in 1 day, and thats before any other bits of work you choose to add on (like all the thermostat stuff DG include). 2-3 days more likely.

When I had my chains done earlier this year DG had the car for 2-3 weeks. That's because I had other work done too plus I was away travelling on business. The one day trips have been for 288mm brake fitment and replacement of noisy wheel bearing.