Sign in to follow this  
Skills

Headlight Switch

My headlight switch recently packed up so I went to VW and ordered a new one. I've gone to fit it today and the connector is very slightly different.

I've included a couple of pics below to explain but the old one has an extra connector and there seems to be the wrong shaped piece of plastic to slot into the adaptor.

corrado1.jpg

corrado2.jpg

The way I see it I have a few options. Either bring it back and see if they can order the correct one, snap off the plastic and hope for the best or just try to take the switch apart and transfer the new switch onto the old housing.

Any ideas?

take it bk, and show them your one, you snapping anything it could void your warranty!

i didnt think, there would be 2 option for that switch, looks like a manufactre defect very odd.

had same issue, take it back and get right bit, they are expensive enough so get it right

is one of the good things about the stealers though ....

I had this problem too. Searched on here and found out there are 3 different ones. GB RHD, Scandinavian Daytime Running Lights one and a LHD version. That one looks the same as the one I got which is the LHD jobby. Took it back and swapped it. think the part numbers are on here somewhere... worth giving them the p/n as it saves them searching and getting the wrong one. Had to wait 2 weeks for the first switch, took it back and the other was in stock from a uk depo the next day :bad-words:

The connection that is missing is the UK dim-dip lights connection on the new switch. If you look at the connector ID's, they will be the same in all the other positions, ie.58 as in the corner connector, 58L, 30 and so on, iirc. The key way can be knocked out and the switch fitted.

Yep, don't know how but they have managed to order a non UK switch
I don't know how etka lists them but when I phoned up for mine the parts guy ordered this non-uk one so either he was having a bad day or it's not very clear on the system.

He's been lazy and ordered the first off the listed as '92 0nwards switches rather than the 2nd listed, a couple of switches further down the list. The parts person reads the first, sees the next are for '88 - '92 and thinks that is it. But after two '88 - '92 parts listed, more post '92 switches continue to be listed! One of which is the correct UK switch with dim-dip connection and the right keyway for the loom connection.

Not the first time the mistake has been made. Usually find these parts in the bottom of a box at a show :D for a couple of quid. Clutch cable on a Mk2 Scirocco is another classic for this parts mistake. That ends up with a shorter LHD version arriving. LOL.