Sign in to follow this  
VRwood

Paint supply

The paints started flaking on my passenger door from wheres its been badly repaired previously. I'm trying to source a new passenger door and respray it myself using rattle cans. Firstly how easy is it to match Dragon Green, as the rest of the paint has been on the car for 16 years now so im sure it will have faded somewhat! Also wheres a good place to source the paint and how much do you think i'll need to do a full door? Does Dragon Green also require a laqure over coat?

TIA

Dan

The paints started flaking on my passenger door from wheres its been badly repaired previously. I'm trying to source a new passenger door and respray it myself using rattle cans. Firstly how easy is it to match Dragon Green, as the rest of the paint has been on the car for 16 years now so im sure it will have faded somewhat! Also wheres a good place to source the paint and how much do you think i'll need to do a full door? Does Dragon Green also require a laqure over coat?

TIA

Dan

not impossible, but I'd say it would be very difficult to get something looking OK with rattle cans and a metallic green, rattle cans don't spray a very relaible and fine spray, pretty much essential for metallic paint where you can't cut back the final colour coat.

I've just done a wing in dark metallic red with a good compressor and a mid priced HVLP spray gun, took 2 coats of primer 3 of colour and two of lacquer, it's pretty good but the effort and consumables required to get a fair quality job make it much more sensible to get it sprayed by a paintshop, especially as I had a wing and tailgate done a while ago for 250 quid.

Well I think I'll give it a go, if it comes out badly I'll just have a bodyshop do it, any idea on how many cans it'll take to do a complete door, both sides?

Cheers

might just do it with 1/2 a litre, depends on how many coats, a metallic green would need 3 or more to build up the colour properly I reckon.

Just a quick bump, it seems that in my quest to find the correct paint i've found there are two dragon greens, one LC6P and a pearl effect LC6P/W7 are all dragon greens pearl effect or are there indeed two colours? My paint code only says LC6P so I think its the non pearl one?! But i'm not entirely sure!