Sign in to follow this  
arronwhit1

need help! my 1.8 16v died.

Please help! My corrado 1.8 16v lost all power while in 4th then as i went down through the gears it started 2 cough and splutter very bad, then it cut out and will not start? Any ideas on what the problem is? i had the engine rebuilt last year after the cambelt snapped, new valves, pistons ect. I recntly had a major service done aswell. It has been running sweet as anything untill this morning. any help wud be very apreciated as i love this car. thanks.

Will probably need a more detailed description of the problems for people to help as its a bit vague at the moment...If it was me i'd check for spark and that the fuelling was ok then go from there.

sounds like you had no ignition if it was cutting out while in gear... Try your leads and dizy cap. Does the starter motor turn over when you turn the key? do you have a immobilizer?

as above... need as much info as poss

Sparks very good, dizzy fine and all leads are only a couple of months old, starter motor is fucked! everytime i turn the key it does not turn over it just clicks and a puff of smoke comes from the earth lead in the starter motor. This is obviously why it will not start but this problem shud not have caused the lack of power and the coughing? or am i wrong? please ask if u need more details. thanks.

exactly. I can fix the starter motor myself tomorrow but idealy i need 2 find out what caused the coughing and cutting out befor i fire it up again. otherwise theres a good chance i cud do alot more damage to it? but iv cheaked everything i can think of? the only thing i cud think of is if the alternator is not charging the battery? i suppose if its not then im only going 2 get a certain distance untill the battery runs out and the ECU stops? Is this correct or am i just talking s***???

cheap voltmeter across the battery terminals with the engine running will tell you, should be 13.5 volts or so.

dont no exactly. There looking into it now but basically i had the whole top end rebuilt last year n im guessin the bottom end (being 20 yrs old) cudnt handel the presure of the new top end :cry: Seen a corrado for sale for £650 tho. mite just buy it n make 1 decent car out of 2 wrecked cars.