Sign in to follow this  
muppetlab

Vr6 ISV delete questions

Having got rid of the crappy plastic damper a while ago, my isv is playing up. I figure its stuck open cus its idling way high and pulsing but if i squeeze the pipe from the intake shut it idles fine. I did give it a knock with a spanner which seems to have helped but its probably going to give up soon. My question is what difference will it make without it? My other idea is to run the oil breather to the inlet where the isv would have gone to stop the throttle body getting oily? Can anyone comment on these ideas, and wether it wont run without the isv as i have squeezed the pipe shut and it still seemed to idle okay probably the best it has for ages? Cheers

You'll not do cold starting any favours!

Try unplugging it, that'll give you a better idea I'd say. Personally I'd just replace it cos your gonna need something to bypass the throttle or it will just cut out. If it doesn't you probably have a vacuum leak.

After the tap with a spanner it seems fine, idles perfect now. So will leave well alone for now and try and get a spare isv for when it packs up for good. thanks for the advice.

Clean out your isv with a little petrol, wd-40, carb cleaner. Few Americans remove the ISVs to help towards cleaner bays but if you have the plastics it's well hidden anyways. ideally you don't want any oil at all into your inlet, re-directing to a catch tank is best place for it.