Sign in to follow this  
Bullfinch

Upgrading Tom-Tom to get USA maps

I've got a pretty standard Tom-Tom sat-nav (think it's the XL) and it only came with UK maps installed (2 plus years ago). I'm going on a USA road-trip holiday around New England and rather than pay Hire Car rip-off prices for daily use of a sat-nav I'm thinking of buying some maps and installing these on to my existing sat-nav.

Has anyone done this and if so can you recommend a supplier/internet site?

try Open Street Map (OSM)

Open source mapping project,

I've just loaded maps for Florida onto my Garmin for a family trip next year, just to try it out.

Fantastic detail and free. I think the entire USA fits onto a 4GB SD card, if you only have internal memory on your satnav one of the links from OSM had maps compiled from OSM data by state, whole of Florida was 33Mb, every sodding footpath at disney is on there :)

You'll need map files complied for a tom tom I guess (from OSM data) but somone must have already done this as for the garmin units.

Or you could pay through the nose for maps from Tom Tom. Probably cheaper to just buy a sat nav when you get to the states TBH.

To be fair to Tom Tom I synched up my sat-nav tonight and then found the whole map of the USA for £34.95. Hence bought that as I know it's a lot cheaper than paying sat-nav rental of $15-20 per day for 2 weeks. Lets hope it works when I get to Boston a week on Saturday otherwise I'll be fuming :bad-words: .