Sign in to follow this  
binstah

Dead ignition when turning the key

Guys,

Just lately my valver has been running a tad warm and recently after the engine has been running I can stop, turn off the engine and go fill up for example.....get back turn the ignition and get nothing, not even a "click"

The battery is fine as all electrics work, the alarm immobiliser is fine as etc.... as I can bump start the car and fuel pump work etc...

I was initially think it could be a dodgy Dizzy cap or Starter Motor...... a friend of mine has thrown a new twist and suggested maybe to start solenoid is getting affected by the heat in the engine bay and as such gets stuck hence a dead ignition not even the click.

Can anyone throw me some pointers?

thanks

gah my command of the english language is somewhat shocking in the original posting....apologies

You've got an edit button btw...

Could be the starter or the ignition switch, especially if you've not changed the switch recently and it's not a new black one - if this is the case I would buy one anyway.

The way to tell if it's the starter though is to measure the red / black single pin plug that runs to the solenoid - you should get 12V down this when the ignition is turned to the crank position. If that is the case then the solenoid is sticking (this happens when warm as your friend sugested) - you can sometimes hit it with a metal bar to free it off but a new starter is really the way to go.