Sign in to follow this  
tman2714

Noob Error

I've made a stupid mistake.

I have fitted a new head unit to my Corrado and managed to screw up my spoiler, MFA, petrol gauge and rev counter. None of them work at all now.

:epicfail:

I read a thread which said to avoid connecting a blue wire to anything or letting it short on the body. I think I have managed to short it somehow.

It doesn't help that some idiot had wired in an amp and sub which weren't even connected to anything. I removed these and everything worked ok its only since I've been fiddling with the head unit that I've had these problems.

Any help on this would be great.

The blue wire you refer to (blue/grey IIRC) is a speed pulse output from the instrument cluster, that was used to automagically increase the volume on the standard stereo as you drove faster. If you've wired that up, you will have driven that from the head unit, and most probably damaged the instrument cluster. I did the very same on mine, however, it was only the spoiler control that was effected.

Have you tried just disconnecting that wire yet? It may 'fix' all the other problems apart from the spoiler. I know that the circuitry on the instrument clusters do vary between models, and mine was a 1993 2.0l 16v. What model do you have?

Theres a blue/grey wire which is not connected to anything and I have not connected to anything either but last night I did see a spark but could not tell where it came from.

I'd think that if you've seen a spark, then a live wire is grounding out on something. Did it blow a fuse?

Quite possibly.

The car is away being serviced today (fingers crossed) so I will check for blown fuses when it gets back.

Thanks for the help!