Sign in to follow this  
harryc

Missfire cylinder 2, 1.6 16v

After the cambelt broke while my brother was driving our mk4 golf (1.6 16v), a friend and i have been attempting to fix it but after putting it all together again there is nothing happening in piston 2.

After removing the head and discovering 12 bent valves we found a very clean replacement head from a local spares dealer and fitted it with old cams and running gear along with new head gasket, bolts and belts.

There is fueling on all 4 cylinders and there is spark. We replaced the coil in cylinder 2 for good measure. When running (poorly) there is no difference in idle when removing the coil or the injector plug on cylinder 2 indicating there is no bang what so ever. Removal of either on any other cylinder results in lumpier idle/stalling.

I've just ran a compression test and these were the results. When cranking compression was much higher and then once stopped the reading settled down to give a result.

Cylinder 1; static; 186 (around 250 when cranking)

Cylinder 2; static; 170 (only around 200 when cranking)

Cylinder 3; static; 256 (around 275 when cranking)

Cylinder 4; static; 202 (around 275 when cranking)

Results show cylinder 2 has the lowest results. The inter cam timing has been checked as has the crank to cam timing. The engine uses hydraulic tappets and has had new oil/filter with the head along with new plugs.

The only thing i can think of now is a bent valve on the new head? possible worn/broken tappet? can anyone else offer their opinion as to what they think the problem could be?

Car is a mk4 Golf with 1.6 16v (twin cam hydraulic tappet engine)