Sign in to follow this  
mr lobitos

factory immobilser

tried searching but with no success,do corrados come fitted with a factory immobilser? reason for asking ,car would not start this afternoon,was turning over but would not fire,the only different thing i had done was when unlocking firstly turned the key anti clockwise then back clockwise. locked car up came back after about half an hour,unlocked as normal and she started first time and has done since.no obvious signs that an aftermarket immoblisher is fitted .may well be ignition switch but thought i'd ask before going down that route,advice please

It was fitted from chassis 50SK000719 onwards to the 1995 model which was October 1994 onwards. ie the last 3,325 Corrado's

The only way of identifying is the boot or service book sticker against the chassis number. Or using VCDS and finding the controller 25 responds.

The factory immobilizer exhibits different behaviour to that which you describe, so probably not the culprit.

Factory immobilizer will allow you to start the engine, but then it run for about a second and then just cut out again. You can start the car as often as you like but you'll get a second and then it'll stop again..

Not immobilser characteristic as Jim states. Did you try starting with throttle at 1/2 way or just on the key with no throttle?

thanks for all the advice,crank sensor was changed about 8 mths ago,never give it any gas when starting,what jim described starting then rapidly cutting out has happened a few times recently but has always started,would it be pointing to the ignition switch,thanks again

never give it any gas when starting

Try half throttle and if you can run the engine on the throttle above 1,500 rpm, then the ISV is stuck shut.

If you find this, ISV needs a clean and exercise. Exercise the ISV with VCDS using output tests. Take the test past the 6 injectors and set the ISV being switched fully, ie. clicks every 2 seconds and leave it doing this for 2 minutes.

what jim described starting then rapidly cutting out has happened a few times recently

Apply my trick of WD40 to the connection of the immobilser box inside the dash behind the headlight switch (if it has the right chassis number as above.). Then carefully work the connection to get rid of micro-corrosion on the contacts. It will last about 7 or 8 years before you need to do it again.

would it be pointing to the ignition switch

If above has failed to solve, then yes it would be worth a shout. Jiggle the key in the ignition lock and see if that affects.

If you do get the starting and then cutting out symptom, then that could indeed point to the factory immobiliser. RW1's tip about cleaning the connections is the quickest, easiest fix.. will take you about 10/15 minutes and cost a squirt or two of WD40 :)

thanks again,started first time this morning,checked chassis no ,it is after the numbers stated,so has immobliser,will give that a squirt, read a lot about the isv giving trouble will probably give it a clean ,only thing is were is it ? :lol: cheers

thanks again,started first time this morning,checked chassis no ,it is after the numbers stated,so has immobliser,will give that a squirt, read a lot about the isv giving trouble will probably give it a clean ,only thing is were is it ? :lol: cheers

Try the search for the ISV, mate- been discussed to death! ;)

how about the red wire going into the back of the fuel pump relay in the fuse box....

the factory immob i had on my 94 vr was wired into this... and the pin was not secured properly hence inttermittant fault...

worth a look anyway, just try sticking your hand behind the fuse box push the wires up and then try to start car do this several times it might or might not work at least if it does it will narrow it doen a bit! lol

this is weird and getting me down,same probelm as before car seems immoblised but after turning key in doorlock ,locking and unlocking ,it started and has been fine since,coincedence or is central locking linked to immobilser,help please

It was fitted from chassis 50SK000719 onwards to the 1995 model which was October 1994 onwards. ie the last 3,325 Corrado's

The only way of identifying is the boot or service book sticker against the chassis number. Or using VCDS and finding the controller 25 responds.

Which side of the chassis number start of the VW Factory Immobilser introduction are you? Pre or Post.

If "pre" then its an unknown on a separate alarm/immobiliser.

If it's "post", then no, door has no connection, purely a key in ignition slot, key/coil reader, immobiliser box connected to engine ECU with ability to inhibit start up once the immobiliser/engine ECU have finished their electronic handshake.

mine is sk000780,were does that lead me,its also been parked on slight incline on both occasions its happened does that bear any relevence

happened again today,why is this only occuring when i turn the key wrong way to unlock,got me totally fused,help