Sign in to follow this  
Powells

New to Veedubs. Speedo & MFA not working

Hello guys this is my first post as i'm new to the VW scene.

I've recently purchased a G60 converted to a 20v which is in need of a good tidy up. The MFA stalk only shows the outside temp nothing else and the speedo is not working either.

I've been told it needs a new speedo sensor that screws in the gearbox from a G60 as this is the box they used, i wondered if you guys thought it was the speedo sensor and roughly how much there are?

And with the MFA would it be that as the speedo isn't working this is effecting this?

Thanks in advance, i'll be posting quite alot as the interior is next on the list!

Really need to get myself a manual so i can have a read and learn about the electrics on these..the bay is like a rats nest under there!

If you have a late spec speedo ie one with digital mileage, then I would say first check the speedo sensor on the gearbox, see if its there and plugged in first. If unsure, may be worth replacing it to check all is good. The speedo sensor feeds signal to the dash for most of the instruments but no idea how well the conversion has been done as I would say that oil temp should be wired into an oil temp sensor on the 20v engine.

I converted my car to the r32 spec and Ive had to loose the MPG feature, not sure if the 20v is a similar problem? :shrug:

mine done exactly the same and yeah,it was the speedo sensor on gear box, once fitted everything worked again, including the spoiler, got part from vw about £22 if i remember rightly? hope this is the same case on yours mate.

Perfect thanks for the replys, I'll nip down to vw tomorrow and grab one. Can you still get most parts new from main dealer for the corrado?

Well i replaced the speedo sensor on top of the gearbox and still no good :(

The Rev counter is working fine but the temp guage, mfa and mph are not.

Are there any main relays that could have fizzed out? I've checked and replaced a couple of fuses but no difference. Am really hoping this isn't wiring related :(

Has it had an aftermarket stereo fitted?

There's a blue/white wire (blue with a white trace) which supplies the original VW stereo with its 'Gala' signal (automatically adjusts the volume as the speed alters). Sometimes stereo installers don't know what this wire does so they cut it/alter it, and I know that cutting that wire affects the speedo, spoiler and MFA...would be worth having a look at that, along with a wiring diagram!

Jesus these electrical gremlins continue to haunt me! After incorrectly earthing a boost gauge and seeing smoke rise from my dash i now have no indicators or intermittent wipers! I've replaced both relays and a couple of fuse but now when you signal left both indicators flash like hazard lights!

Oh the woes! I've only owned this car 3 weeks too :( I can only assume some wires have heated up and earthed out somewhere behind the dash.