Sign in to follow this  
richlyons

1.8 valver not starting

hi, ive got a 1.8 16v and its not starting up? The guy i got it off said the meater head had gone so i put a new one (second hand) and now it spluters a little bit but still wont go! I dont know much about kjet as im more in to carbs so any help would be very good :) rich

check wether or not the isv valve is operating or not...also that the 5th injector is ok,remove both and clean out with carburettor cleaner,you should get a load of black gunge out,also ensure that all the vacuum pipes are connected and the pipe from the injection unit to the throttle body has no splits or leaks,and on the bottom of the same pipe should be a valve,if this does not seal properly the engine will not start,just cough and splutter and cut out.......sounds silly but also check your distributor cap and rotor arm,had a similar problem with mine,replaced these and was good as new...

Definitely check the ISV my car would not start without fully opening the throttle, cleaned out the ISV and it now starts with the turn of the key.

thanks for the help, tryed all that but is still the same :mad2:

took off all the banjos for the main 4 injectors and cranked it over and no fuel is coming out!! so the second hand meter head is also bust :(

off to get another one now

does the metering flap pull up smoothly with no sticking points, if the plunger is sticking then fuel supply would be restricted. You should get slight but even resistance as the plunger moves.

[strike:26s3mi1q]have you tried pulling the injectors and spraying into jars, do none of the injectors spray anything?[/strike:26s3mi1q]

sorry. you did say nothing came out of the metering head lines to injectors

every thing feels sooth, yer i pulled out the injectors and nothing was coming out thats when i took the banjos off

:scratch:

are you getting fule in the control pressure lines? - the ones that go to/from the warm up regulator on the gearbox end of the head?

i did think of that, but i couldnt find any info on which way round the pipes go to the metering head? edit just checked and there is fuel in the lines that go to the warm up reg ( the thing on the side of the head) lots comes out, and lots comes out the 5th injector pipe but none out the main 4?

can anyone tell me which injector go where on the metering head? Just the main 4? This is staring to wind me up a bit :censored: might just go out and buy a set of webers!

sounds very odd that you have tried multiple metering heads and no joy...will have a look at mine tomorrow and let you know,you say that you are getting good pressure to the head! for some reason i think that you cant go far wrong as the pipes are shaped and to length..

well im getting fuel to the metering head but i dont know what pressure its at? How do you test it? It is odd that ive tryed 4 heads all giveing the same results.

you need a fuel pressure gauge with the correct adapter unions, not cheap to buy, best off finding a garage that has the kit, but then your car is immobile :scratch:

It's worth replacing the fuel filter and checking if the lift pump is OK though, there's 2 pumps, one under the car and one in the tank.

ok, i think ill know someone with one. What should it be running at? I it 3 bar? I thought there might be one in the tank, i had a 8v scirocco and both pumps failed on it :(

should be 4.7 to 5.4 bar with the engine running, so I guess same at cranking.

it could be the pressure accumulator at fault too, that is the other box under the car along with the filter and main pump

fuel.jpg[/attachment:3frh21p2]

think i may of found my problem, there is no voltege getting to the lift pump! The car has had a imobliser fitted but its been removed at some point and im guessing it cut off the pumps feed? Anyway behind the fuse box is a mess of cut wires and wires joined back up, so i think the lift pump feed is not connected, the only prob is that i cant find my power probe to give the pump some power to see if it works anyway!!!!!

when i got a sparky to install an immobiliser ,he made sure it cut out the fuel pump. Also the wiring behind the fuse box was a big mess from a previous owner removing an old alarm ... so he was top notch and tidied it all up for me 8)

what the importance of the fuel accumulator?

mine looks :censored: and both the pumps look fine and appear to be working ok?

i can only see it being the fuel pressure now as ive tryed every thing else!

i went to the local bosch man and he would like £60 ph to diagnose the problem and god knows how much to fix it.

accumulator holds pressure in the system after engine off and regulates pressure too I think, sure it's got some valving in it, this may be affecting pressure, you really need that pressure checked at the metering head.

i thought i would know someone with a tester but they dont, just waiting to here off a mate that might know someone with one. if they dont ill have to tow it to a garage or something?

right, im sick of k jet and its silly 5 bar of fuel pressure so im ditching the lot and putting some bike carbs on :D

gonna get a manifold mocked up tomrrow and see if the carbs ive got kicking about will be up to the job :clap:

hope fully ill have it running soon!!