psiburr

G60 clutch/gearbox replace/upgrade/recon ?!

I know there are more than a few threads on here re gearboxes for G60s and I've read through a few and ended up quite confused. What I'm looking for here is a no nonsense straight forward laymans answer....

I've got around £600 and I'm looking to replace/upgrade/recondition the gear box and clutch on my 1.9ltr G60 ( the rebuild was only 20,000 ago as detailed below but the gear/clutch is standard). First gear has been difficult for a while and reverse can be cunchy. What are my options at this price ?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice :D

If you want a upgrade,why not go with a CTN or ASD box off a mk3 1.9 TDI.tougher than any normal raddo 02a box.Few guys on here have the CTN box. I have the ASD box on my standard g60 with nice long gears

They are a direct swap but id keep the orginal shifter tower(very slight differences)

Thanks for the reply dude, links broken though. Could be my iPhone, moved house and no Internet for a month !! Feckin sky !!

Thanks for the reply dude, links broken though. Could be my iPhone, moved house and no Internet for a month !! Feckin sky !!

Works for me. Probably have to have an edition 38 account to view it.

Copy of AD:

---------------------------

CTN gearbox.

Done 77k.

Ideal for a 20vt turbo conversion.

Ratios:

1st : 35.061 MPH.

2nd : 62.550 MPH.

3rd : 97.393 MPH.

4th : 136.355 MPH.

5th : 175.298 MPH.

It has been professionaly de-greased, sand blasted, primered and painted matt black using high temperature heat resistant paint.

It is in perfect working order. It comes complete with the selector mechanism.

Price: £200.

Location: Collection from Storm Developments, Aldermaston, Reading, Berkshire.

Thanks.

----------------------

This has nothing to do with me by the way, just noticed it for sale

CTN or ASD come from 1.9 tdi golf and passat mk3.Dont ask what year.i go by mk's now so much easier than going by year.

i got mine in in germany(more expensive :roll: because its a vw :shrug: ) for 150 euro with 60,000 km on the box.had a big dent on the fifth gear plate and got them to knock 20 off the price :norty:

between £100 and £300 will get you a good box and depends how much power your putting out standard clutches are fine upto about 210 bhp,limit 220 bhp

think you need account to view that link,im gettin f5&*ed off too!!!

alright, restarting this thread cos i've got the money together and its time for action !!

trying to source the parts but no joy so far, looking for lowish mileage possibly refurbed mk3 TDI gearbox (ebay's offerings seem either in the 90,000s or not mentioned?!) and a clutch to match. Storm develpoments say VR clutches wont fit so not sure what to get being that I'm running somewhere in the 200bhp range.

Advise please and a list of parts required would be awesome !!

keep an eye on ebay... I got my ASD box for £50!

I'd also get new slave cylinder for the clutch but otherwise it's a straight swap! Good hunting!

so keep the G60 clutch but buy a new slave cylinder ? is it just that and a gearbox or are there other parts I need ?

renew the slave cylinder.They have a habit of popping seals on high milers with older ones and leak fluid all over your new clutch

You dont have to renew it but its recommended.

Im 99% sure VR clutches fit a g60 but there is different size ones when you start looking past organic clutches.Or keep your standard g60 one.

Not to sound horrible but you might want to post in driveline threads next time :thumbleft:

driveline ? never heard of it :) figured some of the gearbox was in the engine bay.... thanks for the advice though. slave cylinder rattle is the main reason I'm looking into this mod so its definitely on the list. Good to hear I dont have to replace the whole thing :D

I think its the clutch slave bearing. Rattles some times on low revs esp in 3rd and 4th and stops when I depress the clutch.