Sign in to follow this  
sexybourbon

how hard can it be

after reading a thread earlier about primer iv been thinking for months about buying an old passenger wing and and giving it a go at spraying , iv got a garage and spray gun so would just need to buy all the paint

my pas wing is starting to look pretty bad now and a shortage of cash means im not going to be able to afford to get it done and iv always wanted to have a go at it anyways so anyone ever had a go at all or anyone got any tips or word of advice or is it just a big no no altogether??

I'm getting a new wing so i'm going to get that professionally done and then use the old one to practice on so im basically in the same situation as you

Apart from practicing it i think i basically know what i'm doing after reading hours of stuff on it and watched thousands of vids.

I found this video quite helpful as it tells you all the grades of sandpaper etc to use.

Wouldn't recommend rattle cans or any 1k paint. 2k primer, paint and lacquer will cure faster and harder which means you'll be able to work through the painting process quicker.

Rattle can paint and lacquer can take weeks to properly "settle" or harden so you can flat back and rub down with rubbing compound and weeks later the paint and lacquer will still be settling and sinking and you'll see the sanding marks again.

PS 2k paint is quite toxic so a spray booth or ventilation is highly recommended!

Also, if your car is metallic then do not rub down the paint before lacquer as it can change the colour once the lacquer is on.

Cheers for the vid mate will watch it tonight iv got quite a big compressor tank and devilbiss spray gun so buying an old wing to have a go at seems a good idea plus learning to spray seems like something that could come in handy ! I get you on the 2 k laquer tho did my wheels with it in the garage in a hoody and one of them little white masks lol probs not a good idea

What equipment do you use? Looking into spraying the rado eventually but don't really want to use rattle cans...

You should try and rent or buy an air compressor and get an air pAint gun as the rattle cans aren't any good as the poster above has said.

I have also seen good things about a HVLP which is basically an electric compressor. Not sure how good they are but the guns are pretty cheap

PM davidwort and get him to look at this thread. He's been doing some home painting with some impressive results and he's always happy to discuss his findings!

When it comes to the lacquer, don't worry if you get any runs or hazing or even orange peel. You can almost always sort that kind of thing out with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper and rubbing compound after it's fully cured.

Just make sure you put the coats of paint on lightly and give layers enough time become tacky before the next coat.

Also, is it metallic or flat paint?

I have to get my head around body repair work and paint as well for my Flash red g60.. gonna do the rear panel first with a couple of rattle cans from VW then do the slam panel in the same way .The OSR wing and drivers door and boot lid, in fact the rest of the car will need repainting in a bodyshop but i intend to do the de-rusting and primer on the parts that i can do.

What equipment do you use? Looking into spraying the rado eventually but don't really want to use rattle cans...

You should try and rent or buy an air compressor and get an air pAint gun as the rattle cans aren't any good as the poster above has said.

I have also seen good things about a HVLP which is basically an electric compressor. Not sure how good they are but the guns are pretty cheap

Cheers i'll look into an electric compressor, going to take my time on it so its probably a good idea if i buy myself a cheap one.

When it comes to the lacquer, don't worry if you get any runs or hazing or even orange peel. You can almost always sort that kind of thing out with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper and rubbing compound after it's fully cured.

Just make sure you put the coats of paint on lightly and give layers enough time become tacky before the next coat.

Also, is it metallic or flat paint?

Oh ok i didn't know you could sand down the final layer of laquer, how long does it take to cure or is that dependant on the environment?

Well i was planning to go matt black... but if i can get a compressor and a spray gun i think i'll go for something more adventurous like gunmetal grey or metallic red.

I get you on the 2 k laquer tho did my wheels with it in the garage in a hoody and one of them little white masks lol probs not a good idea

Lol good old diy in the garage, i remember fiberglassing a bumper a while back progressively getting dizzy from the fumes haha! :D

HVLP is a type of spray gun, it stands for high velocity low pressure - We use Devilbiss GTI's and Compacts at work, quite expensive (£250/300 each retail) but good quality with excellent sales and technical support (they are based in Bournemouth).

Ian.

If you use 2k lacquer then I reckon you can leave it a few days before rubbing down, but 1k lacquer or rattle can lacquer then definitely a few weeks otherwise it'll just sink again after you've sanded and rubbed it down

I was gonna say that that doesn't look a big enough air compressor for body spraying however after reading all of the listing it does actually look pretty smart :salute: