Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

VR6 dry sump system Dissertation (R&D Project)

I found out this afternoon that I can get my design rapid prototyped by Renault absolutely free through my Project Supervisor! :D :D :D

Anyone know the exact path the oil takes inside a VR6? Is it:

Sump > Pump > Filter > Crank bits > Valvetrain

or

Sump > Pump > Crank > Filter > Valvetrain

or even something else? Can't find any info on it, in the CF wiki or in the HUGE Bentley book.

Thanks!

i.e. lots of pics :lol: it's 20% of my whole dissertation and I can reuse all that material which is good.

When I actually start designing and testing stuff, things wil get a lot more interesting.

I found when doing mine that when I read my report it sounded like I had done very little research compared to what I had actually done. Pictures speak a thousand words but try not to use too much and dont use them to pad it out. When you start the practical side you will find that all the data will take up a lot room and you often have to filter what you put in so it is relevant.

Great advice, thanks for that. My initial report(Project Plan) was a bit light and sketchy so I got some feedback from the guy who marked it and he said use a few more pics so I tried to get more relevant stuff involved.

I'm designing pump in CAD at the mo. Bit behind time since it's week 10 of term, but if I get cracking I should be ok.

What I was told was dont worry too much about trying to achieve your final aim. The main thing that we were assessed on was following engineering principals and how we methodically analysed the results. The way your findings are reported and your conclusions / nest steps are also looked at to see that you can communicate effectively through reporting. I didnt really find out that much but still managed to get a good score for my Thesis as I presented it well and showed that I understood what and why I was doing things.

I phoned VW this morning in the hope to get *any* VR6 sump gasket but there are none in stock. Might go to AVS and order one, think they're about £20 delivered.

will be up for sale cheap once Ihave the measurements I need!

I think i've got a good visualisation of the OEM VR sump now. It's not perfect, but I took measurements from a picture of someone else's sump :shrug:

sumppanoem.jpg