Fulltimejunglist

Later heater dials

you'd need a full new dash insert, vents etc and the dials are expensive to buy second hand

to top all that they are much less tolerant to use/abuse than the slider ones, I'd stick with those, proven mk2 technology :lol:

you would need a late centre console as the holes are different sizes. Then obviously the heater control unit along with the three cables that they operate with which are a bit of a pain to change but can be done. I would stick with the early slider ones as well unless your thinkin of doing a full late conversion. If you have any other question just ark as i only changed mine in last 6months. Mark

is it the mount for the which doesnt fit?

They do look alot better than the slider ones so id still like them, at the moment i know the slidy ones changeg the heat when the wire is pulled etc

How are these changed to an electric version, what parts would i need to change, what would be my probles if i used the old dash to put them in, as all it is a peice of cardboardy stuff.. easy to mould, cut etc would wouldnt ake it too tricky to fit somethign in their id imagine...

Thanks for the help also people.

Did you change your from slidey ones to the dials?

If so fair play, good minds alike, as they say...

the dials still work on cables but just have an o shaped end rather than a r shaped end at the control unit end. so you need to change those. the actual heater is about twice the width of the slider panel. i agree that they look alot better as well. i think you would struggle cutting your existing one to size as then your ash tray wouldnt fit or radio hole would need to go. i think you should change the centre console for a late spec one which makes the hole thing look alot better as you can then put in late style switches.

have you ever thought of changing your dash for a late one and making the whole dash look better. even the heater vents look better. and then you could change your heater cables easier. to change dash you just need a nice sunny day and you can take old out and put new in all in same day.

the only thing im not sure of is if the late centre console fits in an early dash as i changed my dash as well but im sure someone on here could tell you if it is staright swap.

there isnt really any problems it is just fiddly to change the cables as you have to lay under both drivers side and passenger side to attach the cables as they route around the drivers side and then attach on both sides of matrix. and when your doing the drivers side you will need a something to put on clutch pedal like a cushion as you need to hold it down to get your head in to see what your doing.

ahaha sounds a mission...

Id imagine well worth doing though, does look nicer...

At the moment ive got rid of my ash tray as i didnt receive one with the car, so ive got rid of the lighter and stuck a dial mount instead....

I plan on re trimming the dash at some point so id imagine changing the whole thign would easiiest, thanks....

Is all i do swap the ends and the attatch it all back together and then it should all work?

Aha cheers mate.

I have got a set of mk3 golf heater dials from a friend for free.

Is there any way of attaching these and do these have the same r shaped connections ?

Do i change the plastic leavers at the end of the cables or do i connect my cables onto the heater dial unit using my existing cables?

Any help would be usefull, thanks.

And no its not a stright fit but with a bit of bodging itl fit in the center console...