Sign in to follow this  
stevej

VR non-starter

Now I have done a search, and turned some things up, but not really what the car seems to be doing.

switch on the ignition and staright away there is a random realy clicking in the fuse box and clicking form the engine bay, the rev counter needle flicks up and down. it can stay like this but can eventually stop. the engine turns over fine but it wont start, it will however pop a bit and it blew the palstic black box off / up off the back ISV. Its fueling and has a spark. When the ignition is switched on you can hear the fuel pump prime, occasionally it alternates between priming and stop the prime again - sounds like a buzz - quiet - buzz -quiet - buzz - quiet & occassionally the pump just stays on.

have chnaged both relays 109 & 67 and made no diff, although the random clicking when the ignition is switched on stops if you pull out relay 109. relay 53 is also clicking away but not sure what this one does. it also stops when 109 pulled.

anyone got any thoughts ? moving house in 4 weeks and I need to get it out of my garage

cheers

steve

do you have access to vagcom.? id would check the fault memory.

check header tank for oil, or bubbling you may have a headgasket leaking, as for the relays thats odd, i think them relays are ecu and fuel pump, but im sure one of the mods wil confirm.

the clicking under the bonnet, can you locate the noise. is the auxillary water pump running ok when the ignition is turned on.

the fact you say you have good spark and fuel, it should fire, but if the cam sensor is down it may not.

weird is everything earthed ok?

im sure somebody will know whats up and give you the answer

cheers guys,

yeah 109 is the ecu relay and 67 is fuel pump not sure what 53 is.

we did try to vagcom, but the soft ware on the computer wasnt working - so we will have a retry on thursday.

nightmare !

Are you still having trouble with this?

My VR spluttered and died whilst running outside my house this week.

The engine has only done 500 miles since I rebuilt it so was thinking/hoping it was electrical rather than mechanical.

The symptoms I then had were similar (clicking relay, flicking rev counter, turning but not starting)

so I replaced relays 109 and 67, but still no joy.

Gave the battery a charge (was down to 11.6V by this time)

On refitting the battery noticed the positive terminal was loose due to being slightly out of shape (over compressed on the underside) so straightened it out by opening up the clamp with a screwdriver, problem solved.

I think my faults were a combination of tarnishing on relay 67 pins and battery terminal connections.

You may not have the same problem but I would double check battery,starter and earth connections.

Are you still having trouble with this?

My VR spluttered and died whilst running outside my house this week.

The engine has only done 500 miles since I rebuilt it so was thinking/hoping it was electrical rather than mechanical.

The symptoms I then had were similar (clicking relay, flicking rev counter, turning but not starting)

so I replaced relays 109 and 67, but still no joy.

Gave the battery a charge (was down to 11.6V by this time)

On refitting the battery noticed the positive terminal was loose due to being slightly out of shape (over compressed on the underside) so straightened it out by opening up the clamp with a screwdriver, problem solved.

I think my faults were a combination of tarnishing on relay 67 pins and battery terminal connections.

You may not have the same problem but I would double check battery,starter and earth connections.

Hi I did get this sorted. The ECU was knackered. replaced it with a used one and problem solved. In fact it was running better than it had been - much smoother through the rev range.