Bazmcc

Starter Grind?

I'm not sure what this problem is but it's been bad for the last week or 2.

I think the starter might need rebuilding.

Sometimes when I turn the key I just get a real sort of groaning/grinding noise and the engine doesn't turn over. When I release the key I hear a bit of a clunk, then it usually starts as normal when I try again.

Is there a test I can do to check the starter? Is it maybe something else that's doing this?

what engine?

sound like the starter motor has had its days, remove the starter and check for excessive play, also check the ring gear for damage to the teeth, on some cars they have a brass bush, that the starter inserts into, this can be worn and cause similar issues, of noise.

Sounds like the starter isn't interacting with the flywheel properly, and the splines on the motor aren't meshing with the teeth on the flywheel.

Bit of a thread revival here.

Complete rebuild done on the starter and it's still doing it.

Teeth on the starter were fine when I took it out but I had it rebuilt anyway as there was a little wear and it was a bit tattered.

Click below to see the video. On 3 seconds you hear the sort of grind and churn noise. On 4 seconds you hear 2 clunks when i release the key. On the second turn it starts no problem. Sorry the sound is a bit crap you'll need to turn it up.

th_ceb0f746.jpg