Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

K-star tuning on a 1.8 16V

I think people started to fit them when they heard that 4Star fuel was to be discontinued. It is 98RON. Unleaded fuel is 95RON. Therefore the engine had to be adjusted for this. Lead is a natural lubricant therefore unleaded is actually bad for your engine. Valve seats etc errode quicker. Unleaded alo contains more Benzine which is carconogenic so all this bable about it being better is a bit iffy. I think that you can just use Shell Optimax as this is 98RON therby saving the price of fitting a Kstar. Anybody back this up or am I just havering?

I had the K Star kit on my Mk2 Golf 16V. I started off with the ignition module first and then added the fuelling kit later. the whole kit is well worth it and needs to be set up on a rolling road. The power comes in a lot smoother & at lower revs instead of the characteristic kick at 4500 rpm.

As far as fuel type, the 16Vs are supposed to run on 98RON. Anything lower than this and the engine will start to pink. Some 16Vs do, some don't. Mine did, so I used to run it on Super unleaded (before the times of Optimax) and it was costing a packet. When I got the K Star I worked out it would pay for itself within a year with the money I saved on running it on unleaded.

I believe the price of £500 includes setting the car up on a rolling road (usually a couple of hours), if it doesn't, the price has gone up since I got mine!!!

The VR6 engine has a knock sensor, so the engine timing is adjusted so pinking cannot occur.

Is this not so for the 16v and 8v?

I would assume the G60 would have a knock sensor, being forced induction.

I fitted one to my 2ltr 16v mk1 golf(ks3 fueling&ign)fitting was straight forward and I gained 10bhp bottomend,ive spoke to other people who fitted them and they confirmed that they dont give you any more power topend,I was`nt impressed with the fitting kit(cable ties)for £500 ide expect somthing a little bit better,I made my own mounting brackets,apparently if your ecu part number ends in a B it will run u/l fuel,if your running a std eng just go for the ign model ks1?

no knock sensor on a k-jet. timing must manually be retarded probly 4-6 deg in order for 95ron to be usable. poo fuel economy and power. cheaper to run on 98ron than do this i reckon

My G60 has a knock sensor, like all difigiant will run on 95 but it aint great or recommended. compression over 9 to 1 requires more octane really

anyway thought peeps bought gtis n Cs to go quick

need good locomotion lotion to get good motion