Sign in to follow this  
DanRVW

Fuel tank differences?

If possible...Id like know the differences between all of the fuel tanks on corrado's if anyone can enligten me, ive tried to search the net and these forums but cant find a lot of info on them. Ive got an early 1990 16v with the small lift fuel pump like Mk2 Golf GTi's but want the larger fuel pumps as found in VR6's and later C's. I got myself a MK3 Golf VR6 fuel tank as i heard they were the same, but the filler neck sticks out about 10mm too far so the flap wont close(though the rest of the tank fits ok) so im thinking a later corrado tank will fit, but have heard they are different sizes 55ltrs/70ltrs? and the boot floor is different? But...Will a VR6 tank fit on my car? If not will a later G60/2.0L tank be a better fit? Or is it just a case of diffent tank straps?

Help would be appreciated a lot! :)

The later Corrados do indeed have bigger tanks. Not sure if it will fit or not sorry. But note if you put a bigger tank in the car you'll also have to change the sender (and therefore possibly the pump), but also the dash guage which might also mean changing the whole instruments.

Thanks. Im hoping to put a S3 fuel pump in, and modify it to get the fuel gauge to read somewhere near where it should. I may have to just try a VR6 tank and hope i can make it fit...

i have a fuel tank but unsure of size, you can have it for a tenner if its any good, i have tried for ages to work out size and what model it was from but no luck. Only found german sites but i dont speak german so couldnt work it out, mark

early model corrado's had a smaller fuel tank, cant remember the actual volume maybe 12gallons?? but can be easily seen by looking at the rear boot. If the carpet has a very deep recess for the spare tyre then more than likely its the smaller volume. later cars use a lager volume but I think the same fuel pump setup ie one in tank and one under the bodywork this again can be told by looking at the boot and the recess will be less obvious plus these are 15gallon tanks.

The vr6 is an exception, it has the larger fule tank, different fuel pump arrangement with in tank pump only but alway came with the larger volume of 15gallons. I think this is what your wanting to fit....will it fit....no idea. even if it physically fitted there seems to be some differences with the fuel line arrangement.

Why you wanting to change the fuel pump setup?

Thanks for the help :) I wanted to use a MK4 pump to make things simple (i got the pump and lines from a local scrappy for £10) and ditch the rusty old hanger and pump under the car....i thought it was as easy as just getting a different fuel tank, hance buying a Mk3 VR6 one, which was close but filler neck sticks too far out :/...and then playing with the idea of chopping it and plastic welding it etc..which i wasnt too fond of. And now i know the corrado ones are different sizes etc and there probably isnt a bolt on solution to this, i might aswell go with the original set-up and keep the 2 pumps...

Thank you anyways :)