Sign in to follow this  
ollielawson

Misbehaving VR

Hi All,

My VR6 starts easily runs smooth on idle but occasionally I'll be driving it and it will stutter like there's no fuel and usually stall not long after. It only seems to happen when its warm I've replaced the leads and plugs, cleaned the throttle body and ISV but no help.

I've had a scout through the search but no avail. From memory its only been happening since it had a major service (when all the above was done). I've scanned it with VAGCOM and the only errors I'm getting are:

00533 - Idle Speed Regulation

10-00 - Adaptation Limit Not Reached

00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation

11-10 - Control Limit Not Reached - Intermittent

00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

03-00 - No Signal

Readiness: N/A

I've got a new fuel filter to put on tomorrow and I'm tempted to change the coilpack but any input anyone else may have will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Ollie

Im assuming the engine was off when vagcom stated error message - 00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

03-00 - No Signal? Ignore it, this error always shows when the engine isnt on.

Someone could end up correcting me, but if the coilpack was at fault, id suspect you'd get misfiring rather than stalling.

Thanks Gaz I read that somewhere else after I posted too. I'm pretty sure it's fuel related because once it's stalled it takes ages to get going again but once it is it'll be fine for a random amount of time!

I've tried a new fuel pump relay but it cut out on the mrs today in the rain (not amused). Don't know if it could be related to the passenger footwell always being wet when it rains??

Ollie

Have a look for air leaks in the intake, such as a broken PCV valve. Might be wrong, but I think that can lead to similar error codes.

Have a look for air leaks in the intake, such as a broken PCV valve. Might be wrong, but I think that can lead to similar error codes.

Good thinking especially given the ISV error. The MAF looks pretty new doesn't mean it's not faulty though ;)

Have you looked at the Ross Tech Wiki? It's got a load of ideas on fault solving. Very useful resource.

Have you looked at the Ross Tech Wiki? It's got a load of ideas on fault solving. Very useful resource.

Yeah tried so many things. I thought it was the damper on the throttle butterfly because after I adjusted it the problem went away for ages. I thought after cleaning the throttle body it was snapping shut too fast. Had all sorts of air leak problems on my old supercharged r32 so you'd think I'd be used to finding them lol. :shrug: