Sign in to follow this  
susi

Bypassing ignition switch

Hi everyone, I'm new here (although I've been lurking for sometime) and I'm hoping you can help me.

I have a 1993 G60 and for a good few months I've had problems starting it. I knew the ignition switch was on its way out, but stupidly I thought all the while it was starting eventually I'd leave it be. Yesterday the switch failed completely, even had a tiny puff of smoke leave the steering column!

Called the AA out who verified that the switch was dead and the guy started the car from underneath the steering column. Do any of you have any idea how he did this? I figure if he can start it that way, so can I, meaning that I can still use the car while I'm waiting for the new ignition switch, rather than having to use the bus to get to work on Monday.

If any of you can give me instructions on how to do it, I'd be really grateful.

We tried the way stated on that link, but it won't work. We've got the key in the ignition, turned to where it would be if the ignition were on. The plug is out of the ignition switch, with all the additional wires in place, but once the last wire is touched to the starter motor wire, the red immobiliser light stays on solidly and nothing happens. Do we have to disconnect the immobiliser too? I thought that as long as the keys with the fob where in the car, it would switch off automatically. Clearly not. I'm sorry for being such a numpty, but I'm afraid I only drive a Corrado, I have no idea how one works (or doesn't in this case!) :-)

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Hmmm, yeah it will be the imobiliser kicking in and not letting you start it...

Did you have the key in the ignition and the steering unlocked??

Maybe you left it too long between opening the door and trying to start up - most alarms cut in after a period of time, try the open button on the key of you have one to activate the central locking.

Yup, the key was in the ignition and the steering unlocked.

I did hear what I've always assumed to be the immobiliser "undoing" itself when I first stuck the key in the ignition (it's like a whirring sound that comes from near the fuel cap - or at least at the back of the car on the driver's side), but then it took a while for my dad to get the plug out of the ignition switch, so perhaps that's why the immobiliser kicked back in again.

He'll have another go in daylight tomorrow and see what happens. The annoying thing is that the AA guy got it started so quickly and with no problems at all and I didn't even think to get him to show me how he did it.

Yeah - that will be it...

Do you think he actually took the plug out? - they sometimes go if you shake the key around in the crank position...

Have you got a new switch yet? - if so just plug this in to test, doesn't have to be fitted. Getting the old one out is also fun :)

I did hear what I've always assumed to be the immobiliser "undoing" itself when I first stuck the key in the ignition (it's like a whirring sound that comes from near the fuel cap - or at least at the back of the car on the driver's side),

for your own future reference, that sound will be your fuel pump priming. Handy to know the next time something breaks

Ah, thanks Erny. I just assumed because the noise would coincide with the immobiliser light going out. I don't know, bloody women, eh?!!! lol

Supercharged, no we don't have the switch as this isn't a job my dad thinks he can do, so the car will be going into the garage where I've bought all my parts in the past. They used to be a Volkswagen workshop, so I trust them to know their way around a Corrado. They certainly have a tendency to get all excited when I park it outside! lol But obviously the problem is lying is getting it started. If it won't start, it can't get to the garage!

I'll find out when I get home from work, whether there's been any success today.

If you get a new switch though you can use that to start it without actually fitting it - make sure you buy it from VW too, pattern parts are not reliable.

Not difficult to fit by the way - one small screw but just a bit awkward to get too!

No luck again today! My dad has been and got the part it needs, and is going to connect it up tomorrow, so fingers crossed that'll get it started.

I have two other options after that. One is booking it in the garage and then calling the AA out again to Homestart it and then run it straight to the garage and two, as my dad knows the bloke who owns the garage it'll be going to, as a very last resort he'll try and get one of the mechanics up to my place to do the job there and then.

I'll be so glad when it's up and running again. I'm driving my mother's Fiesta to work at the moment but while it's a nippy little thing, it feels like I'm driving a roller skate! But don't get me wrong, I am very appreciative that I'm not having to get the bus every day! lol

Thank you for all your help with this. I've used this forum so many times for all the various things that go wrong with my "wagon" and even my dad, who is not at all techno-friendly has started asking if I've checked on here for solutions first! :-)