Sign in to follow this  
pet73r

g60 high idle. ISV Noise??

Hi guys,

I know there has been loads of posts on this subject and i have been through them all and found them to be very helpful.

I think ive now found the problem... my isv.

Ive cleaned it out but it wasnt that dirty really, put it back on and it seems to have made no difference. The isv is buzzing when the ignition is turned on but it also makes this clicking noise. Which can be felt as well as heard. Is this right? Or is it shagged?

When i dissconnect it the idle is fine when warm, but lumpy when cold. As it idles fine when warm without the isv plugged in does that mean its a faulty isv?

Ive checked all other possibilites, vacuum leaks, idle switch etc but found them all to be in order. Im stumped!!

Any one shed somelight on my problem??

Thanks!!

Have you disconnected it when engine was on?thats a big no,no! i believe it burns out the coil drivers for the ISV when you unplug it while engines on

mine does that now and again(clicking)

but mine idles at 700 rpm(i know its a bit low) but if its rocky steady why adjust it?

no, dont worry, i did when the engine was off!

Its strange. It will idle at about 1250 - 1500 rpm when warm. If i turn the engine off and back on it will drop slightly but not come down to normal. But then sometimes it does come back to normal about 850 rpm. With the isv not connected it is always at 850 rpm when warm.

I am correctly diagnosing the problem to be the isv?

Like I said, it buzzez when the ignition is on and makes a clicking noise.

how have you checked idle switch on TBH? the temp sesnor could diff be a culprit,maybe lamba sensor?

Unfortunately its not as easy as that, the ECU could well be trying to compensate for a faulty sensor via the ISV, I have had an idle fault on my G60 for a few months now, idles fast when hot 1000+rpm, I have checked or changed everything, all sensors, all vacuum pipes, the wiring loom including all earths & its still the same. I am suspecting the ECU on mine because it seems to be linked to the fast idle on startup program.

As you probably already know idle problems on G60s are usually the blue temp sensor faulty or vacuum pipe leak or sometimes the idle screw seal on the throttle body leaks air, or the idle switch not being operated or faulty.

Good luck I hope you find your problem easier than I have.

Mick

Good luck finding it

Checked the idle switch on the TBH and changed the blue temp sensor too and still have this annoying problem! Only does it sometimes. Most of the time it sits at 1250- 1500 rpm regardless of temperature. With some throttle sometimes it will climb to 2000rpm. Then as if nothings wrong if you turn it off and back on it comes back down to 900rpm. Its doing my sweede in.

I will check the idle screw next.... how is this done? Is there supposed to be some sealant used when reinstalling?

I tried an old 8v gti isv i had lying around earlier and that made it even worse so i changed back to my one. Im going to try one later which i know was working so will see how that goes...

thanks everyone for your input!

The idle screw has a small rubber ring to seal it but unfortunately over time due to the fact it gets very hot right above the exaust manifold the rubber degrades & breaks. The idle screw complete with sealing ring was still available from the dealers a few months ago part no 037 133 432 £11.20 + vat

Thanks for that, will try and get one of those today. And try and rule that out.

Ok, seems that its not the isv, tried one that was known to be working yesterday and it was still the same. A mate suggested that it could be the idle switch??

Thought id ruled that out too, but he mentioned that when idling if you lift the throttle a bit and press the button the revs should hunt up and down?? Is this correct? When i tried this, nothing happened. So could be the idle switch??

Anyone know if these are available new to buy as separate parts?

right... wont be counting my chickens just yet but, I changed the fuel filter and thermostat changed today and all seems to be in order now!

The engine was taking an age to warm up, my 11 mile trip to work wouldnt even get her to operating temperature!! So I changed the thermostat today, this has solved that problem and also seems to have solved the problem of the fast and high idle. Perhaps now the water temp is warming quicker the idle has adjusted itself accordingly?? I would of thought that even with the thermostat buggered that when it finally did reach operating temp (which the engine did after a good while) that it would idle properly anyway, but hey what do i know!! :cuckoo:

Glad I got that fuel filter off too, looked like it hadnt been changed ever!! Perhaps this could also of had a positive effect on the idle problem :confused4:

Ill keep you posted if this has proved to work long term....