Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Can I run these speakers with this amplifier ?

Right,

Not that up to speed with ICE stuff, so I have a couple of questions for peeps who know what they are talking about when it comes to audio. I'll try and make it as straightforward as possible. I intend to run the following speakers in my corrado, which are currently not connected up due to other ongoing work:

Fronts = DLS R5A reference series 5.25" 2-way components with cross-overs

see here: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /5567.html

Rears = JBL GTO6428 6 x 4" 2-way speakers

see here: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... oduct.html

Subwoofer: MB Quart PWH 302 12" subwoofer

See here: http://www.caraudio4u.co.uk/mb-quart-pw ... ubwoofers/

Basically, the question I have is can I run all these speakers off this single amplifier ?

http://www.caraudiodeals.co.uk/genesisp ... p-167.html

Or do I need a separate amplifier to run my subwoofer like this:

http://www.caraudiodeals.co.uk/genesiss ... p-180.html

What's the verdict then folks, any advice appreciated :D

don't know much about car audio but you'd need a 5 way amp (2 front 2 rear and one sub channel) for a single subwoofer driver, so no, you couldn't run that from a 4 way amp.

I'd imagine a 4 way and a separate amp for a single (bridged output) or 2 way, sub is what you'd need.

Id ditch the rear speakers if i were you...

Get a 2 channel for the comps up front, and a mono or bridge a 2 channel for the sub. Genesis have gone under btw....

as above you need a 5 or 6 channel amp.

you can bridge 2 channels of a 6 channel to run the sub from or you can run a genesis profile 5, which has 2 front, 2 rear and a sub out.. I have one of these and its a great all rounder.

i'd steer clear of running 2 amps if you can help it.. the option of ditching the rears and bridging 2 channels of a 4 channel would be a good one.. the other 2 will run your fronts..

Thought this might be the case about needing an amp with more channels. I would need to sell the 3 amps I have though to fund a Profile five at £500 ! :confused4:

Abdul, where did you get the info about Genesis going under as their website etc. is still live etc ?

How come you reckon ditching the rear speakers is the way to go ?

Would there be any harm in me running the rear speakers off the head-unit therefore leaving the 4 channels on the Profile 4 (two to run the two front speakers and bridge two remaining channels to run the sub ?)

bristolbaron, could you possibly do me a favour and see if you can measure the length and breadth of your profile five ? I need to see if it will fit into the Audioscape amp-rack that I have, but I suspect it may be made specifically for the Profile four, although I guess it could be modified / made larger and then retrimmed :scratch:

Thought this might be the case about needing an amp with more channels. I would need to sell the 3 amps I have though to fund a Profile five at £500 ! :confused4:

Abdul, where did you get the info about Genesis going under as their website etc. is still live etc ? I've not heard this.. give them a call on 01702 611180

How come you reckon ditching the rear speakers is the way to go ? The rears are so under powered they will do nothing to help sound staging.. Decent components up front and a rear sub will be plenty.. Ditching them means you can run a 4 channel without issue and will not miss anything sound wise.

Would there be any harm in me running the rear speakers off the head-unit therefore leaving the 4 channels on the Profile 4 (two to run the two front speakers and bridge two remaining channels to run the sub ?)

This will only leave them even less powered.. really not worth doing, but would be cheaper than forking out for a 5 channel if you're insistant on keeping them.

bristolbaron, could you possibly do me a favour and see if you can measure the length and breadth of your profile five ? I need to see if it will fit into the Audioscape amp-rack that I have, but I suspect it may be made specifically for the Profile four, although I guess it could be modified / made larger and then retrimmed :scratch: Sizes are on thier website.. Dimensions H x W x D [mm] 38 x 450 x 217

The 5 channel wont fit in the amp rack, even if you extend it its too long to fit on the side of a rado boot.. get a profile 4 and ditch the rears. 100% best option.

I would dithering the rear speakers just for the fact it will pull the soundstage backwards and you don't want that as you sit in the front. Invest in some good components upfront like you are but in a larger size like 6 1/4". spend 20% of the cost of your equipment on cabling and install it all properly with sound proofing the doors, well as much of the car as you can, it makes a massive difference as opposed to filling it with as many speakers as you can scenario, then that leaves you to get just 1 amp and run 2 channels upfront and the other 2 bridged for the sub. I can sell you a Phoenix gold line driver if you want it, it takes the signal from your headunit and makes it into the best signal it can that your amp sees, so your amp is doing less and hence getting a cleaner sound.

Genesis have def gone under as well.

Interesting,

If that is the dimensions for the Genny Profile 5, then they are identical to that of the Profile 4 Ultra, i.e. it would therefore 100 % fit my Audioscape amp-rack without any need for modifcation. :|

Profile 5: Dimensions: 450 x 38 x 217mm

Profile 4: Dimensions: 450 x 38 x 217 mm

Apparently the Profile four Ultra is longer than then Profile four.....oops, my bad, should have made it clear I had an Ultra :brickwall:

But any any case, you all seem to reckon the best idea is to ditch the rear 6 x 4's completely anyways, so I would probs be best off selling the two spare mono amps I have, making some cash and sticking with the Profile 4 ? :?

It must be a pretty recent thing then, Genny going bust ? Damn shame :(

Ok if you have a 4 channel amp and a mono amp then ditch the crossovers and run an active system, use the 4 channel to power the components 1 channel per speaker and the mono amp to power the sub. That way the sound quality will be much cleaner again due to less crossover interference or something.

Yes very recent last week or week before I think.