Sign in to follow this  
DANG60

Civic type R EP3's

Hi, firstly im sorry for even mentioning anything to do with the darkside.

My corrado is off the road and is getting a bit of a refurb. Plans started off fairly small and it has escalated. Due to the bad weather i havent had much chance to get on with it. My daily is a 306 1.4 and its seen better days.

Im just after something a bit newer and nicer to drive on a daily basis. Ive read all the buyers guides on the civics and a couple of my mates have had them and after being out in them I really like them. On a run it should probably return the same mpg as the pug as that doesn't seem to be very good on fuel.

Does anybody have any first hand experience of these cars? Any pointers would be great.

Thanks

Dan

Not sure about used pointers but I imported one from Holland new in march 03. kept it 7 months and really didn't like it at all!

Wasn't the car itself but the engine. 8k revs sounds great charging on a b road but there's so little torque you have to thrash it round town too. made me feel a bit silly making so much noise just to keep up with traffic.

The rest of it I liked, best gearchange I've ever tried, good seats if a bit high, great brakes and nothin went wrong. I bought a 1. 6 ep3 a few years later as a daily and I prefered it. comfy and just as solid.

VTEC - all that lag and no boost... it's like waiting for really bad sex!

VTEC - less torque than my wheelnuts

and of course...

VTEC kicked in y0!

vtec-just-kicked-in-yo-1.jpg

Vtec_just_kicked_in_yo.jpg

Vtec_just_kicked_in_yo_asia.jpg

vtec1.jpg?1242067991

YWMGUIDT24GR5QDGM563QJ2EGJITWI36.jpeg

633492515165500232-vtec.jpg

UX4PHN2NJG33CQALIRIUAEWEQDD2HB27.jpg

speedingsignvtec.jpg

In all seriousness though... VTEC is bulletproof... Can't beat them Japs for reliability, Honda is untouchable when it comes to that.

They are quick, very happy cruising at over 100 on the motorway, can do 120 without realising it...

Really need thrashing to get anywhere though

Lol thanks guys, i realise there lack of urgency until the vtec kicks in yo :lol:

I just like them so its hopefully just something to potter to work in and then a bit of fun when i want it.

Il still have my 20vt corrado which should make up for it. I wouldnt necessarily change the corrado for one but to have along side i think will be acceptable. Obviously as you have both said they make for a reliable car which is what im after. At the moment the peugot needs 100 quid here and a 100 quid there every other week. Ive seen one with 220,000 miles on so they must be good for that sort of milage although im keeping my eyes open for one with about 60 k on it.

What id do if you get one is look in time for a cheap mega mile elise. then do the link up conversion! I was planning that on my elise until I hot written off!

What id do if you get one is look in time for a cheap mega mile elise. then do the link up conversion! I was planning that on my elise until I hot written off!

Sorry to thread hijack, but what's that?

Basically you fit custom mounts (sold by a variety of companies) and fit the K20A motor and box into an S1 or S2 Elise/Exige provided its a K series car it fits in easily.

The clamshells come off so it's easy to work on, and the only tricky bit is wiring but you can buy looms if you wish.

The engine can then be supercharged to around 300bhp.

Or you can pay to get it done for between 10k and 14k or so for a s/c version.

Have a look...

http://hondaelise.com/about-kit.htm

Basically you fit custom mounts (sold by a variety of companies) and fit the K20A motor and box into an S1 or S2 Elise/Exige provided its a K series car it fits in easily.

The clamshells come off so it's easy to work on, and the only tricky bit is wiring but you can buy looms if you wish.

The engine can then be supercharged to around 300bhp.

Or you can pay to get it done for between 10k and 14k or so for a s/c version.

Have a look...

http://hondaelise.com/about-kit.htm

Ahh interesting. Shame I couldn't afford that but that sounds like incredible performance/reliability for under £40k if you went and bought one then converted it.

Try 20ish. used s1 cars can be had for under 7k, just get one that's not been crashed and upgrade the suspension to nitrons and freshen up bushes etc, then some elise parts discs Mr even aps. should be around 10 when done minus what what you sell the k series for. Or buy one with a sorted chassis etc ame just do the engine!

My mate bought a vx220 turbo from london and the bloke he bought it off had an s1 exige with the k20 motor in and a jackson racing charger on it, big brakes etc. Looked like a right weapon.

Can anybody tell me what theyre like on fuel on a bit of a run its about 40 mile round trip to work everyday. I know theyre a performance car, dont expect 50 mpg out of it but are low 30's achievable with a light right foot.

I got good mpg when driving slowly but because of the revs needed it was low 20's usually. My driving was all round town though so cruising in 6th should make high 30s easily.

Cool my commute is mostly a roads so should be ok then. Ive read a few instances where owners type r's have been better on fuel than there previous smaller engined cars