Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Manual override fan switch

Im still getting pretty hot temperatures when sat in traffic in the valver.  Water was at 100 and oil at 118 yesterday, just idling along in traffic.  Ive had similar temperatures ever since ive owned the car.  I replaced the fan switch twice, the fan, radiator and numerous coolant pipes, non of which seem to make a difference.  So ive given up replying on the system to take care of itself, and I want to fit a manual switch on the dashboard.

Im aware the fan has 2 speeds.  The first speed kicks in at 90 and keeps the car cool enough when moving along, but when im sat in traffic the second speed seems to kick in too late, and doesn’t stay on long enough, so it’s this speed I want the switch for.  So….

Is there anyway to allow the fan switch to operate automatically on the first speed, and then I can override that with the manual second speed switch?

If not:

Can I fit a manual switch that controls both speeds, taking all automation off the fan?

If not:

Can I fit a single speed switch that switches the second speed on, so I’ll just have to not use the first speed.

So, has anyone done any of the above?

All help appreciated as always.

I fitted a manual override to my VR6 before i went touring France this year. My view is it's better to keep cool rather than try and cool when really hot.

It was really easy to do, not sure how the 1.8 works, but I bridged one of the temperature sensors in the VR thermostat housing ( the black one). It was a low voltage current and I ran the switch to the dash.

The easy way to test is work out which sensors the 1.8 uses to determine the fan switch then with the ignition on, pull the plug off and short the plug. If the fan switches on, cut and solder a new wire onto each side and run it to a switch on the dash.

That doesn't actually help you work out what one to bridge, but once you have, it just verifies.

There is a thread already in Engine bay for cooling, worth a check :)