poll250

Which Brembo Pads?

I have a set of 996rears(Same as Boxster S' rears) for the front of my Lupo, The Lupo uses the same 54mm piston size as the 280/288/312 calipers. The Porsche piston area works out smaller!! Thats the reason you have no pedal travel. Your Boxster S' rears have 2x28mm and 2x30mm pistons per caliper, you can do the maths, I CBA, not that much smaller mind.

I spoke to Dave Brown(Brake God) he has sold dozens if not hundreds of sets of rear calipers for 312's and customers have been happy

just did the maths and the 4pots work out at about 16% more piston area actually so not sure its that and also hence why dave recommends them so much afaik (albeit with at least 312 if not 325mm discs..)

996 Turbo fronts will make it stop, but probably give poor pedal feel.

and need 18" wheels so not really a go-er for corrados

Something else is tyre grip, lack of that brings in the ABS.

absolutely yes - i think the OP is closer with his poor pad or dodgy ABS theory or this tyre point tbh. poll250 have you checked your ABS on VAG-Com mate?

I just did a quick estimate of the surface areas and got:

2303mm for 54mm 288/312

2660mm for Boxster-S Rear

5328mm for 996/Cupra R

Cupra Rs have twice as much surface area! I think I'll just see how the DS2500s work out for now, then look into my Abs a bit more if there are still problems.

I just did a quick estimate of the surface areas and got:

2303mm for 54mm 288/312

2660mm for Boxster-S Rear

5328mm for 996/Cupra R

Cupra Rs have twice as much surface area! I think I'll just see how the DS2500s work out for now, then look into my Abs a bit more if there are still problems.

3852mm^2 for 996 fronts mate, that's what I have (on garage floor unfortunately) so can't yet comment on pedal feel.

However the 996 rears actually have a noticeably higher pedal than the 288/312 calipers that I replaced on my standard C. I can only guess that must be the better pad pressure distribution with the 4 pots.

As for pads for the Boxster S rear calipers, I used front pads from the Standard Boxster, they are the same caliper but pads are a bigger, therefore frictional area closer to that of the 288/312's, still not as big though!

Not sure if my last post got deleted or i did something wrong.. but here goes.

Need to redo the maths on the piston sizes it seems, others I spoke to also worked it out smaller, thats why I did some sums in the first place.

The Cupra Bembo's pads are bigger, but no huge. I have both so will take some pics.

Back on topic, there are topics on UKMKiv's of people suffering with the 996 rear conversion, a couple(2) that i know have upgraded to bigger calipers and solved the issue of lack of performance... I spoke Awesome and they also said rear calipers belong on the rear of a Porsche. IMO it comes down to the piston size not been large enough... Only have to compare the size to see the difference between the fronts and rears. A member on here I spoke to on the phone said he had to press the pedal harder with 996 rears than std calipers.

They look great though.

74808_451049697193_563967193_5477559_6617226_n.jpg

Got a nice little package from Camskill today, cant recomend them enough! Free recorded postage and they always get stuff out super fast and this time really cheaply to!

Will try and brave the cold one evening this week to get them fitted, looks really nice and easy to replace Brembo pads. Hoping for a good improvement or I may have to get a Leon Cupra set up I thinks..

Out of interst did the maths on the piston area's.....

RDhydrauliccalcs.jpg

Piston area's..... (mm2)

Lucas 54(256, 280, 288, 312mm VAG caliper).... 3.142 x27 x27 x2 = 4581.036

Porsche 996/Boxster S rear...... 3.142 x14.5 x14.5 x4 = 2642.422 (2x28mm 2x30mm pistons)

Brembo Cupra R/996-Boxster S front...... 3.142 x19 x19 x4 = 4537.048 (36 and 40mm)

Ofcourse a sliding caliper is not as efficent as a 4 pot.

yes, kind of as quoted before

the exception being that the sliding caliper being a single piston was calculated as such as approx 2300 despite what they say above.

as you say i cant see that it would be accurate to calculate it as double just because there are still 2 pads, the efficiency is clearly less or the difference with the larger brembos wouldnt be so great. unless its all down to disc size, and ignoring weight and heat dissipation then theoretically the 54 is just as good as the large brembo? i doubt it though!

Well, I fitted the DS2500s last week after work (must have looked a bit mental changing brake pads at 7.00pm in freezing fog!) Fitting replacement pads to Brembos is refreshingly easy (say 15 mins per side max!)

They are noticeably a lot better than the pads I took out, so I'm pretty pleased with them. A lot more pedal feel and bite is much improved. I think there's no getting away from the Maths though: They are nowherre near as powerful as a set of Cupra R Brembos, although the pedal is nice and high so I guess it's swings and roundabouts as most people complain about excessive pedal travel with the Cupra R set up.

It'd be nice to have a go in a car with Cupra R Brembos for a bit of a comparison sometime.

Q: If I picked up a set of Cupra R callipers, would they be ok to use with my existing 312 discs and adapters. or is the Pad size/position different?

Out of interst did the maths on the piston area's.....

RDhydrauliccalcs.jpg

Piston area's..... (mm2)

Lucas 54(256, 280, 288, 312mm VAG caliper).... 3.142 x27 x27 x2 = 4581.036

Porsche 996/Boxster S rear...... 3.142 x14.5 x14.5 x4 = 2642.422 (2x28mm 2x30mm pistons)

Brembo Cupra R/996-Boxster S front...... 3.142 x19 x19 x4 = 4537.048 (36 and 40mm)

Ofcourse a sliding caliper is not as efficent as a 4 pot.

Good article that mate!

Didn't realise that you had to multiply the single pots by 2. Make sense really as they have to travel twice as for as the 4 pots.

That also explains why the Boxster S rears I've used are so much higher than the 288 calipers that were on before that.

And also makes me feel much more comfortable with fitting the Boxster S fronts now as pedal travel shouldn't be that different to the 312's I have on now. :D