Sign in to follow this  
rubberdubber

Gearbox howling like a banshee

Hi all

Did a gearbox oil change a couple of months ago on my 1990 1.8 16v I was supplied with gl5 oil. Over the last couple of days it's started howling between 2500-3500rpm. The noise intermittently comes in and out when cruising at motorway speed. Goes silent if you dip the clutch. Any ideas other thank cream crackered bearings in the box? Did I use the correct oil?

Many thanks

whats oil level like at the moment? it happens in first but you said it does it intermit on the motorway too.

does it happen under load when revving 2500-3500?or happen on overrun? last time i had a thrust bearing go it sounded more like a skate board on concrete all the time when it wasnt in gear and disppeared when you pressed the clutch

Hello mate

It does it on acceleration and when you hold it between 2500-3500 rpm, but only in 1st.

The only other time the noise can be heard is intermittently coming in when cruising along at motorway speed.

Yeh I'd be surprised if it was the release bearing as it's silent at idle.

Not checked the oil yet, I changed it couple of months ago and set the level to where it should be and there's no obvious leaks.

Hmm... Next point of call will be check the level then maybe try a different oil, I thought these boxes took the same as the old golfs gl4 I believe? but Gsf insisted gl5 was correct.

Cheers

sounds like 1st gear teeth are worn/damaged,unlikely a bearing if your saying its in 1st, check oil level, box may need to come out,also check front wheel bearings.

GL4 is the correct oil.2 liters to fill.

Right ive had a good look and i almost guarantee its the bearings in the box.i reckon the output shaft as they have a taper-roller bearing and one needle bearing

and first and fifth are on the output shaft.the load acting on that side of the box when in first is causing the bearing to whine(plus little bit in fifth) as their on same shaft

id say its the wrong oil that caused it.gl5 shouldnt really cause a prob,as its just got more aditives in it than gl4 but i stick to 75w90 as my last box had 189k miles on it without a prob