Sign in to follow this  
jimpy66

VR6 not starting when warm

Anyone had this problem? Problem mostly when engine warm though rarely on cold start also. Engine turns over, fires strongly for a second then dies. Turn it over again, engine fires properly for a second, two seconds at most and then dies. This happens typically four or five times, then engine starts properly and runs faultlessly thereafter.

Further problem has now developed that engine often dies on the road when pulling up to junction and it drops to idle speed. May not be connected to first problem but I plan to change idle sensor as it's pretty corroded and pitted and probably the original item with 130k. Any advice/suggestions appreciated

Yep- I removed relay 109, cleaned terminals and refitted, took the factory immobiliser connector off and on a few times (in dash just behind/below headlight switch), a little WD40 to all these connectors and car now starts first time every time. That's only after one day, but previously it was failing about 1 in 3 times. I'll add to this in future if it changes, but thanks for help.

Five days later, car still starts every time, so we'll call that a cure- many thanks

Corrado Fault Log date: 19.07.1997

Corrado fails to start, revs for one second and dies. By luck it starts eventually.

Corrado Maintenance Log date: 25.12.1997

WD40 applied to immobiliser unit connection contacts on lead from ignition key switch reader coil during winter maintenance.

Corrado date: 01.01.2011

Still no further problems following this little tweek. Starts first time, every time.

Glad yours is fixed. ;)

:D .