quicky1980

Removing the Expansion Tank

Cant seem to find a deffinative answer.

But how can I delete/remove the expansion tank from the engine bay? Are there any negatives of using a rad with an inbuilt tank? Any ideas which rad' to use for a VR6 to allow for the mod, Im sure I heard a BMW one can be used??

I found it hard to find a BMW rad that fit well into the front of the corrado, you could just get one of those t-pieces that you cut into the higest point of pipe work, with the correct pressure rating cap, but if that makes u a little nervous, along with this option you can also have an over flow into a almost empty small can for when the pressure in the system rises, you would require the pipe into the can to be fully submerged all the time to allow fr pulling water back into the system when the pressure drops.

Alternativly you could have a strut brace made up which is also a header tank like big rons mk1,

Didnt really want to use the t-piece as a way of doing this. Looking on the web last night, others use BMW rads, but none mention part numbers etc so may have to go out and find one myself.

If anyone has done this or has come across a good thread where someone has carried out the work, let me know. thanks

If you have anyluck finding a BMW rad that fits please share, I took a tape measure round my local scrappy but all were too big, would fit if you had them leaning back towards the engine but I didn't realy like that option.

Had a chat with a friend in the cooling team at work and he mentioned that the integrated expansion tanks may reduce overal pressure to the water pump but only if the system pressure is low in the first place. While speaking to him I looked online to see what the intergrated BMW rad design was like and found this.

type21-400.jpg

To me, it looks like a standard type rad with an expansion tank bolted to the side. This got me thinking, might as well do something similar on the rado and retain the standard rado radiator. Looks like another summer project :roll:

I was about to start a new thread and thought I would do a quick search first and this thread popped up!

"I'm about to replace my radiator but before I do I've been looking into the idea of using a rad that has a filler neck rather that having an expansion tank.

I notice the guys that have 'smooth' bays all do this to delete the header tank. Is it really a viable option? I don't think I've ever had a car without an expansion tank so any advice would be great. Surely if it was a good idea, VW would have done it as standard?

I notice on E38 a lot of the Golf VR6 guys are using rads from a Fiat."

Sam,

Can't remember where but I saw a guy get a bespoke front strut brace made with the same inside capacity as the expansion tank. All was left was to fit a small filler cap and a few pipes and it was an item that served two jobs. The bay looked very tidy after :)