Sign in to follow this  
Alex_G60_Fanatic

part number confusion....

I know every one on here promotes the use of Vagcat for getting part numbers... but being a little dense i seem to be having trouble with virtualy every part number because they have around 4 or 5 part numbers for each part!

Does it matter which one i pick? for instance... a starter motor:

167000.png[/attachment:l9n06fzb]

Looks like there are LOADS of part numbers for the 1.1kw motor (i drive a G60 and i think that's what i need)

02A911023EX

055911023MX

02A911023L

02A911023TX

020911023F

020911023NX

All very similar but all different... is this VAG just changing the numbers or is each one unique??

they vary according to year (chassis no 50-N-000001 on uses later style connections to starter/solenoid)

and then the part numbers suffixed with 'X' are exchange items

you'll find that pretty much any 4 cyl 02A gearbox starter will work, but they changed the motor sizes to suit engine sizes and compression from the 2L 8v, G60, 16v's etc...

here's the ETKA info:

starters.jpg[/attachment:jbge94nh]

That ETKA is far easier to undersatnd!... still a bit complicated with the #'s and +'s everywhere though. I just feel that VW are making it as confusing as possible.

Thanks Dave!

if you want to compare the physical shape/size of other starters, I've got a KR 16v one on my 1990 and obviously a 2E one on the 8v 2.0L, I've also got a couple of spares that are late passat 8v one's I think, I picked these up when the solenoid on my 16v was getting weak.

Providing the casting of the solenoid bracket/body of the main motor is the same position and doesn't foul the other components in the G60 engine bay then I reckon any corrado or passat (4cyl) starter will work, the G60 isn't high compression so I can't imagine it needs a diesel sized starter or anything.

Like I said, only other issue is one of the connector blocks changed shape on the post 1992 cars I think, but I think you can bodge even that.

It's 02A911023TX you need - fits all but the VR6

Should be around £85 + vat exchange from VAG

whats the difference between that and the #02A911023EX though?

The EX suffix is for early 16V's only

how is a monkey like me supposed to know these things... :(

Is the prefix and suffix information explained anywhere... Should I just not bother to try and understand?

This thread was less to do with what part number i needed and more to do with the reasons why the part numbers are so complicated? (sorry to nag)

Starters, alternators, fuel pumps, lots of this stuff has a myriad of part numbers for slightly different versions, try getting a VW dealer to order you the right alternator pulley, they haven't got a clue either :lol:

I think the '#' is for replacement parts to earlier versions/numbers, 'X' is exchange.

'>' prefix seems to be a part that has been superceeded :shrug:

how is a monkey like me supposed to know these things... :(

Your not, that's why dealers have parts desks - you ask for what you want and they look it up - even better if If you have a TPS nearby give them a call and order one in

doesn't help if you buy off ebay though does it? I saw a bocsh Starter on there for £50 new...

It's not important mate... I just wish it was easier to understand

Yeah as Dave says, some stuff is a nightmare - it''s always worth clicking on stuff to see if it supercedes.

Was going to say look on eBay, if it's genuine for £50 then buy it