Sign in to follow this  
WigsVR6

VR6 Engine hesitent under load

Ok symptoms are:- engine ticking over at 600RPM with a slight "off balance" to the normal tick over patten. Once moving a slight hesitation in acceleration occurs at roughly 1000 - 1300 RPM in all gears. Higher up the rev range everything is as it should be. In the higher gears esp 4th and 5th the car really judders when trying to pick up from full throttle low down in the rev range. Petrol consumption is higher but that could be down to me revving the engine higher up the rev range. The engine starts first time. All theses symptoms happen whether the engine is hot or cold.

I'm thinking electrical/injector problem.

Any ideas or tests i can perform to help me find out what is causing this problem?

Thanks Alan

Took the VR out this morning to work and it behaved fine - for the first mile when the engine was cold. After that the same stuttering appeared again. It's always at low revs in all gears. I can't work out why that would be. Going to check all the HT leads later when the engine as colled down.

Have a search for VR6 + Coilpack. It is a fairly regular occurance, The plastic on the coilpack develops cracks, which arc under load.

Mine has similar issues, just waiting for a replacement to be delivered. Looks simple to fit also.

To check, open the bonet up at night and get a mate to tread on the acelerator so you can see if the coilpack is arking to the lead, but from your description I would hazard a guess that this is exactly the issue.

Also you might want to check out this and similar threads.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99299&p=1151342#p1151342

HTH

Thanks Zippy I'll try that tonight though I had a new coil pack put on within the last 2 years (have to dig out the reciept).

Took the VR out this morning to work and it behaved fine - for the first mile when the engine was cold. After that the same stuttering appeared again. It's always at low revs in all gears. I can't work out why that would be. Going to check all the HT leads later when the engine as colled down.

If it's happening only when the car's warm might it be the O2 sensor?

I have the same issue, but I've got new HT leads and the coilpack was replaced about 2 years ago as well. :confused4:

If it's happening only when the car's warm might it be the O2 sensor?

I have the same issue, but I've got new HT leads and the coilpack was replaced about 2 years ago as well.

It could well be the o2 sensor but I dont really know. I dont want to start buying new parts and start a wild goose chase throwing good money after bad. Have you tried looking for arching on your coil pack?

Now its dark I've looked at the coil pack I cant see any arching around that area but when I touch the HT leads with my fingertips it does arch then. Is this right? If not then what would cause this?

Cheers Alan