Sign in to follow this  
Dan.p

Valver flooding when cold stating

hI all,

anybody had this problem with a 1.8 16v motor?

Over the xmas break my car devloped a cold starting prob

It seems to fill the bores with loads of fuel when trying to start

from cold, removing the plugs reveals they are completly washed

with fuel and cranking over the engine with the plugs removed

blasts lots of petrol from the plug ports.

I suspected the warm up reg and replaced it with another which

slightly improved the cold staring but it is still very hit and miss.

It is possible that the replacment warm up reg is also faulty as

it was kicking around my wokshop and is of unknown condition.

Any help would be cool

Thanks,

Dan.p

fickle thing k-jet, could be lots of things, if this is happening from cold with limited cranking to begin with, then my guess would be

- leaky injectors, remove one and check spray pattern, davidwort did a great write up on this

- faulty thermotime and/or cold start injector, remove blue connector from cold start when trying to start

- running rich, either faulty wur or adjustment has been messed with.

whenever i had starting problems on all my valvers i always checked for vacuum leaks first.

update, Thanks aide, the diaphram in the original WUR is leaking so replacing with an old MK1 Goof one i had

and blanking the vac pipe gets around this for now, i have unplugged the cold start injector and it did improve but i think that this is because less fuel is going in on the first crank, Fitted my fuel pressure guage jig between the metering head and warm up reg on sunday

and discoverd the system wasnt pressurized when undoing the pipework but once primed the pressure stayed up???

Cant leave pressure guage on the car as bonnet wont close(90 bend required), accum and fuel pump check valve

are good so i think the injectors are leaking :-( can anybody point me to Davidwort's write up on this.

here it is

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78232&p=907912&hilit=injector+flow+test#p907912

there's a one way diaphragm directly after the fuel pump, purpose is to maintain fuel pressure when ignition is off and make pump work less hard when initially priming/ starting, problem is the diaphragm ruptures and the system gradually loses pressure until primed again.

I have a set of 16v Golf injectors still attached to the metering head and the WUR in my shed back in Southampton... I know its not a great deal of help to you right now but I will be back in mid Feb got to re-new my passport and get some wedding shi$ done if you can wait till then I can drop the lot to your door.

FIXED IT :-) Many thanks for all your pointers and tips.

Was a combo of small faults just to make things difficult,

Replaced non return valve on the front of the fuel pump which improved the

cold starting pressure, tested the injectors in some bottles and all spray a good

cone shaped pattern (A scarily large amount of fuel with the metering flap lifted

all the way up, ah well its only petrol not as if its that expensive LOL)

cold start injector/thermo time switch OK.

The final thing was the air valve below the induction pipe between the metering head and throttle body

had worked its way out and was resting against the hose giving an intermittent seal but fell off while i was

messing, once re fitted it has started first go every morning.

Once again Thanks everyone.

Dan will take you up on the bits if only to look after them in case of emergency, Cheers mate.