Sign in to follow this  
gregski

Were the stock rear shocks red?

Trying to figure out if someone replaced the rear shocks on my 93 VR6 for stiffer ones. They are red, so I am wondering if that's an easy way to tell if they were replaced already possibly if the stock ones were black. The ride is too rigid for me, and I am hoping going back to stock will remedy that. So were the stock rear shocks red?

Red on a '95.

Isn't the VW part number stamped into the damper body near the axle mounting end?

Yep. The attached picture is the underside of the (I think) Canadian spec Corrado VR6 in the Karmann Museum. It rolled off the production line and went into the museum... and as you can see the underside is in very good condition. Rear shock is red :)

I KNEW this picture would come in handy some day! ;)

thanks gents for the amazingly quick replies, great picture too, so tell me are the worn shocks causing the bit too bumpy ride for my almost 40 body, or is that how the sporty Corrado supposed to feel, or are the springs responsible for the jitters

If by bumpy you mean softly boucing up/down. No. It should a be a comfortable/slightly firm ride with the rear gas dampers.

And.... if the rears are as badly worn as that, then the front oil filled are long past their sell by date if original.