Sign in to follow this  
krnau

anyone did a KR to LPG conversion?

Hi,

I've been reading and investigating and LPG is THE way to save money... as one can turn between petrol/LPG at any moment...

but I find it difficult to find any k-jet conversion. Is that possible? Or due to the nature of the k-jet system, that's not doable?

thanks for reading!

If it's k-jet then you would be looking at a single point system. These are pretty old school and not very highly regarded. That said, there was a time not too long ago that was all you could get, but they were very temperamental and very rudimentary - basically the gas gets injected straight into the intake and left to flow to the cylinders, as opposed to the modern multi-point, which injects set amounts of gas into individual cylinders.

My parents had an old Merc years ago that was converted to single point and it never ever ran properly, so much so that they took it all out.

With over 7k miles on gas since end October, I've worked out it costs me 2/3 of what it would cost on petrol with a multi-point system. Single point doesn't really let you tune and optimise the gas settings.

I don't know if i mentioned this on another thread, but another rolling road session shows I've 'lost' 9bhp with the gas, which to be honest it pretty negligible, especially considering I rarely have cause to use the full power anyway. So that makes the noticable difference zero :)

whoa, then if it won't run OK with a single point system.. I think I'll keep away from doing the conversion.

And it's sad as I do about 30.000miles a year and that would be a nice way to save money :(

whoa, then if it won't run OK with a single point system.. I think I'll keep away from doing the conversion.

And it's sad as I do about 30.000miles a year and that would be a nice way to save money :(

I don't mean to sound negative, but just beware as your system is now more of an exception, which always causes problems.