Sign in to follow this  
daytona600

Stalling problem VR6

My VR6 has developed a nasty habit. I need some help to identity the problem.

If I have to decelerate quickly at low speed (under 30 mph) to stop, ie letting an old lady cross the road. The car cuts out and stalls. As soon as I put the clutch down and take my foot of the pedal the revs drop so low the engine cuts. A couple of times this has happened at a junction, I lose power steering and braking as a result. For obvious reasons I need to get this fixed.

It's intermittent but starting to grate my nerves. Any help would be appreciated.

It's usually caused by the Idle control valve (ICV). It's a little bypass arrangement to allow enough air though to let the engine idle but it's a mechanical device and gets worn/dirty- strip it out and clean very carefully with cotton bud/nail polish remover (but make sure its dry before you put it back on. In old age, it gets beyond repair, in which case this may be temp fix only. If replacing, best avoid cheap ones- stick to bosch, but it's around £100