poll250

Does towing damage an LSD?

don't know about hub nut torque off the top of my head.

as for which bearing is to blame, if the noise stops when you turn right then it's the right hand bearing most likely to blame.

reason being is when you're in a right turn, all the weight of the car is resisting the turn and that's why the car leans out (to the left), loading up the outer wheel - in this case the left one.

does the noise get louder when you turn left? this would mean that the right hand wheel is loaded up - the one that it sounds like the bearing has potentially gone in (haven't read the rest of the thread as internet here is v slow)

Well I took the hub off after work and the bearing doesn't feel bad at all so I'm a tad stumped. Could the inner cv be causing the noise? It definitely goes away when turning right so I'm at least confident it's the right side.

A dead CV would make more like a drumming or knocking noise.

A bearing makes more of a wob....wob....wob....wob..wob..wob..wob wob wob noise getting quicker with speed. Might also sound like a drone.

what the monkey says is right (and disturbingly quite a good way of describing the symptoms!)...

did you remove the hub nut and take the cv joint out of the hub? you're not going to be able to feel any definitive "roughness" attributable to the bearing if you've still got the cv bolted in tight as you're also turning the whole driveshaft and hence both cv joints and the internals of the gearbox.

in order to definitively say whether it's the bearing or not you're going to need to take outer the cv out of the hub and just rotate the hub on it's own.