Sign in to follow this  
radovoller

steering not right

hi all

just got a vr6 corrado that has a small problem!!!!!

i can get full lock when turning right but it will not turn full lock when turning left.

any ideas?????

it has a solid mount at the front that has been designed to lift/tilt the lump, so the sump does not scrape.

and it is on coilovers

cheers linsey

When you say will not turn full lock, how have you defined full lock?

How much of a difference is there between sides? Also, does it slowly mush to a stop, or can you feel it bumping at the end of it's travel? Does the pump start to whine more on the 'wrong' side?

Overtime tracking can be aligned/realigned so much that you end up having more lock on one side than the other.

Knowing how it feels will maybe help identify more closely what the cause might be :)

when refuring to full lock i mean with the wheels strait it turns right 1 full turn and then the middle part of the steering wheel goes round until 2oclock, turning left from the middle it does 1 full turn but then only goes to 3 oclock (it should turn until 10)imaginary clock face if that makes sence???

pump i will check in the morning, cant feel a bump when turning left but there is when turning right.

it has audi tt 7j rims on it, just trying to put all of the info out there.

i thought it might be something to do with the solid mount lifting the lump, and causeing a problem with shaft and hub contact. i jacked it up to see if it would change but nothing did.

cheers linsey

I understand what you are saying. I suppose the first thing to do is check what clearance is available first on full lock for both sides and eliminate that. When you drive on full lock ( in a car park), are there any odd noises?

I'll check mine tonight and see how it compares and get back to you.

I doubt the mount will have anything to do with it tbh, so wouldn't stress too much about that.

Measure the lengths of the track rods on each side. It sounds as if they may have been adjusted on one side only or fitted wrongly.

just checked the track rods, it works out that the guy got the car laser tracked before we collected the car.

all that had happened is the gaiter from the rod to the rack had been twisted when the rod had been adjusted.

it twisted against the rod and wouldnt let it go back in the rack.

cheers for all of the advice

i will need more soon no doubt