Sign in to follow this  
gti gadge

G60 suspension set-up info needed please

Pretty new rado owning fool :dorky: . Car is smooth and fast, suspension is standard and is purely aweful, lucky to still be alive :gag:

Got some Gaz coils to go on and my question is whether or not the G60 is basically a mk2 golf set-up suspension wise underneath? I want to do it all together so just the one payment for tracking etc so looking to get all parts needed together and hit it in a oner.

Mk2 top mounts? Wishbones/bushes etc mk2 also? What about arbs? What is the standard sizes on the G60? Would I be right to think a mk2 rear bar will drop right on and a 4 stud mk3 front? Be interested to find this out as I'm off later this week so weather permitting I'll be doing it then

Paul

16 views but not one response. I'm new to Corrado's and the forum as I've always been golf man but I really had hoped for more help guys :(

Hi Paul,

16 views isn't really all that much so I wouldn't worry about people ignoring you. The questions are quite specific so probably need the right G60 person to come along.

But although I don't know very much about the G60, I will try and help (in my own way!). Take a look at the Advanced Search (http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/search.php) and the first thing I would (have) search for would be:

+G60 +top +mount*

Select the Drivetrain forum and then (important) select topics rather than posts.

Then instead of +top +mount* I would do a new search for " +G60 +wishbone* " .... and then " +G60 +ARB " etc etc.

Yep, it's almost all MK2 Golf 'Base' suspension but there is a bigger G60 front ARB already fitted and the rear beam is also from a MK2 but G60 specific with an inbuilt torsion bar. If you're used to MK2's then the Corrado should feel familiar but with noticeably better handling characteristics and more aerodynamic at higher speeds.

As you say replace everything in one hit to make the most out of it and keep it reliable with equal wear on parts. I'd stick to genuine VAG stuff on everything as these seem to be the only parts that last, Replace anything rubber, all ball joints and bearings...

MK3 4-stud stuff won't fit as the wishbones were modified to mate the length of 'plus' suspension but the later top mounts with separate bearings are a good idea, especially with coilovers. TT/R32/LCR rear wishbone bushes are another one as they are solid rubber and give better braking stability.

Some good advice above. A final touch I'd suggest is to media blast and powder coat the appropriate parts. Right time to do it and really freshens up the whole look of the car aside from protecting them. As project 2, give the floor of car a good clean and coating of protector (wurth or even waxoyl etc).

Yep, it's almost all MK2 Golf 'Base' suspension but there is a bigger G60 front ARB already fitted and the rear beam is also from a MK2 but G60 specific with an inbuilt torsion bar. If you're used to MK2's then the Corrado should feel familiar but with noticeably better handling characteristics and more aerodynamic at higher speeds.

As you say replace everything in one hit to make the most out of it and keep it reliable with equal wear on parts. I'd stick to genuine VAG stuff on everything as these seem to be the only parts that last, Replace anything rubber, all ball joints and bearings...

MK3 4-stud stuff won't fit as the wishbones were modified to mate the length of 'plus' suspension but the later top mounts with separate bearings are a good idea, especially with coilovers. TT/R32/LCR rear wishbone bushes are another one as they are solid rubber and give better braking stability.

Thanks for the reply, this is what I was hoping for. I have some TT bushes in the garage already so thats cool and will get new fronts. Seen a sleeve advertised for the rear bushes on the wishbones, do you know anything about this aspect of it?

I didn't know that you could run the later mk3 top mounts, they look completely different, have you done this?

Car suspension is soft as poop and needs doing hence my questions. Just fitted some d90's today (forced to as tyres that came on the car where completely goosed) and gave the suspension a good looking over. All looks pretty fresh and I have recent receipts for all brakes and bearings so it has had a pampered life. Front passenger shock slight leak which obviously will not be helping at all.

Thanks for the advice, let meknow about the topmounts, cheers

Some good advice above. A final touch I'd suggest is to media blast and powder coat the appropriate parts. Right time to do it and really freshens up the whole look of the car aside from protecting them. As project 2, give the floor of car a good clean and coating of protector (wurth or even waxoyl etc).

Gave the car a decent looking over today and it looks fairly good tbh. I'm running the rado daily so I can sort out my mk2, then it will be getting some love :clap:

You'll find the front WB bushes hardly wear at all but then again they are cheap as chips or you could go for new wishbones and swap the rear bush... no sleeve for the rear bush either like the MK2 as the subframe was modified - you will also see an extra bolt hole on the Corrado subframe to the body.

The MK3 top mounts fit fine and most of us are using them as they give an extra bit of ride comfort - you need the bearing which is now plastic (MK4 part), the rubber mount and what VW call a 'threaded bush' - the upper spring seat of the coilover needs to be flat though for the bearing to sit on, most are... have a search on here for more info on this and pics, been covered many a time.

You'll find the front WB bushes hardly wear at all but then again they are cheap as chips or you could go for new wishbones and swap the rear bush... no sleeve for the rear bush either like the MK2 as the subframe was modified - you will also see an extra bolt hole on the Corrado subframe to the body.

The MK3 top mounts fit fine and most of us are using them as they give an extra bit of ride comfort - you need the bearing which is now plastic (MK4 part), the rubber mount and what VW call a 'threaded bush' - the upper spring seat of the coilover needs to be flat though for the bearing to sit on, most are... have a search on here for more info on this and pics, been covered many a time.

Awesome, cheers for that.