Sign in to follow this  
jimpy66

SONAR HEADLIGHT CONVERSION

I've got a set of Sonar lights and they look great (IMO) but are only available for LH drive- therefore will fail an mot here.

When Sonar say they're not convertible to RH drive, it's not an idle threat- it can be done, but it's nearly impossible to do without wrecking them. I couldn't find any real details on this, so here's some photos for the brave man who wants to risk all........

First you've got to heat em up to soften the glued lenses..

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf29012011644.jpg[/attachment:1j2e37gr]

Then gingerly prise them off- took me twenty minutes to take off one- even at this point on the photo, it wouldn't just come off- another five minutes of easing needed

Corrado92.pdf29012011645.jpg[/attachment:1j2e37gr]

Then comes the flipping hard bit- you need to remove the internal assembly from the housing and it's just not designed to come back out.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf29012011648.jpg[/attachment:1j2e37gr]

Take out the rubber bung from the hole shown above then prise off that white hook you can see- if you break this, its all over :pukeright:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf29012011647.jpg[/attachment:1j2e37gr]

Now you have to try and slide the lens assembly fascia (with the slot shown above) off that white widget. Mine was glued on and it was only luck that the glue gave way first. Be warned that the fascia is made of very brittle high-temp plastic and just wants to desintegrate. This is the easy end :pukeleft:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf29012011652.jpg[/attachment:1j2e37gr]

The lens assembly will now be held only at the other end with the same slot/widget fastening, but this time you cannot 'slide' it off- it has a little inaccessible screw there to stop you. Instead you have to prise off the ball joint behind. The other end was also a ball joint, but there is no access to prise it off.

29012011653.jpg[/attachment:1j2e37gr]

Dismantle the lens holder and you'll see the metal shade that cuts the light from opposing traffic- just unfasten it and turn it over. Because of the lens, its upside down and the 'wrong' way about anyway, so if in doubt, stick a torch in and point it at a wall.

Hope that helps- I wish someone had done this for me. Best of luck though if you try it :turn-l:

Edit- on the second light I managed to spring off both ball joints- they're brass, far left and right in the cowl and click into the white widgits, but the force needed is also just about enough to break everything..... you've been warned :eek:

29012011655.jpg[/attachment:5i5soz85]