8vMatt

A Shopping List of Suspension Bushes for VR6

Hi all,

The next part of my maintenance is going to be focusing on the suspension. I'm not interested in the performance polybush route. I want to experience how the car would've handled when new. So to try to get to this, I want to replace all the original bushes and rubbers. A couple of questions on this-

How much difference would I notice compared to, I guess all original on my car?

What sort of price would I have to pay for everything?

Can someone list up the seperate parts/ numbers and component prices.

I would be happy to have feedback from you guys who have done this maintenance, so cheers in advance, Matt.

big question !

firstly how far do you wanna go ? all the bushes,? new dampers ,springs? coilovers?

what work has been done on the suspension already?

how many miles has the car done? what condition are the bushes in?

from my experience.i figured that it was a 15yr old car with little history on suspension work. my lower wishbone bushes were split, instead of new bushes i bought 2 new arms, and this came with the front arm bush too.

ball joint are seprate, but well worth doing as the car dosent seem to wonder, and worn ball joint are also missed /hard to spot on mot.

again top strut mount, you can see if they need replacing, there was a topic not long ago how to identfy dead top mounts.

rear axle bushes , pretty much every corrado ive owned have not been replaced, and they all were looking perished and tired, replaceing these will make the rear end feel firmer in the bends , and give the car the rear steer feel back again instead of letting go!!

as for dampers, if they are leaking replace them, replace them in pair if they are, or replace them all , all this work should make the car feel 100 percent better it depends how much money and how far you wanna go. all i can say is every time i replaced or renewed suspension components it felt better an better/firmer /precise feel.

Edited by volksworld13

track rods, do the whole track rod not just the ends, they all wear the inner joint to the rack and that makes the steering wander when not loaded up in corners.

front bush on the wishbones don't really wear, rears get all the punishment on hard acceleration.

rear beam bushes a must as said above

front top mounts on suspension

wheel bearings usually make noise before giving play but bottom balljoints can wear too.

the engine mountings and front crossmember mountings should be looked at although it's only usually the front engine mount that wears badly, just check the others to see if they feel excessively soggy or have obvious tears.

Thanks to both of you.

I want to replace as many of the rubbers and bushes as I can. Obviously a budget would have to be kept to (smaller the better). I think at the end of the day, I want to experience what a VR6 drives like as new.

Are there part numbers and prices available?

The more info I gather on this subject, the better I'll do at getting a good setup. I think I'll post up links of bits I find and ask if thats the right sort of thing to get an OE or suitable setup.

Cheers.

Just doing this job myself, although I used polybushes for the rear beam as there was a set on here going cheap. Here's a list of part numbers I used.

arb bush 191 411 314

arb bush clamp 191 411 334

steering rack bush 191 422 884 A

rear beam bush 1H0 501 541 A

lower ball joint 1H0 407 365

track rod inc ends 1H0 422 803 A and 1H0 422 804 A

front wishbone bush 357 407 182

Didn't replace the rear wishbone bush as Stealth put in a TT one a year or so ago.

I got quite a few bits from http://www.vwspares.co.uk - much cheaper than dealer prices and the supply mostly Febi Bilstein parts which I believe are OE quality...