WigsVR6

Coilpack swap

The VR is poorly at the moment sounding more like a tractor than a car. I bought a replacement coilpack from Purple Tom last week in preperation to change anyway as the engine as been running a little lumpy just recently. Anyway on Sat the engine was running even worse so is locked up in my garage for now.

I want to do this job myself so be gentle with me. Is this just a simple straight swap like for like? Or is there anything else I need to be made aware of? I'm not technically adept at such jobs but want to start having a go myself.

Thanks Alan

Yep - really easy. Unplug the HT leads, unscrew the four allen head bolts holding it onto the block, and then disconnect the main plug to it and installation is the reverse of removal :) Just make sure you note the order of the HT leads on the coilpack before you disconnect them!

Yep - really easy. Unplug the HT leads, unscrew the four allen head bolts holding it onto the block, and then disconnect the main plug to it and installation is the reverse of removal :) Just make sure you note the order of the HT leads on the coilpack before you disconnect them!

Oh yeah! good Point... The plugs need to go in the same points that they came out of else the engine wont run properly

Oh yeah! good Point... The plugs need to go in the same points that they came out of else the engine wont run properly

Er yeah.. fairly fundamental that. It's called firing order! :)

OK thanks guys for your help and advise. I'll be doing this tomorrow in no rush atm.

Jim, did changing the coil pack sort out your running issues? I think we had similar problems at the same time.

The only problem you may encounter is rounding out of the four socket-head retaining screws, as they go directly into the aluminium of the head and tend to corrode in slightly. Then you'll need to get a set of Irwin bolt extractors to undo it/them.. It's also much easier if you take off the plastic HT cable guide plastics.

Otherwise it's just a case of getting all the cables connected back correctly.

Best wishes

RB

The swap went well (even for me) Straight forward and didin't take long. Didn't resolve the problem, that turned out to be a defective spark plug. The engine is running sweet now