jamiehamy

Searching by acronyms.

Something that has irritated me for a while is the inability to search for acronyms on the forum. It's really limiting and makes searches so much longer, especially when so many terms are abbreviated down to a 3character acronym.

Examples are '16v ABS' or 'VR6 LPG' or '1.8 ECU' or 'VR6 ISV'...you get the idea. You can't search for any of them. At least, I've not worked out how, despite trying to trick with random symbols.

Admin - is there anyway the config can be changed to allow searching on say 3 characters, without affecting performance too much? It's not the only forum, but it's the one I use the most, hence my post :)

Cheers, J

The search should be rebuilding now with support for 3-character searches.

Hopefully ;)

It always did on the old forum and always should on this forum. It's just default setting here was not to allow 3 letter searches so when you change that setting you have to re-index the entire site (as Andi pointed out) so it then knows all of the 3 letter words that have ever been used. Considering the use of the word 'ham' you can imagine it takes quite a while ;)

It always did on the old forum and always should on this forum. It's just default setting here was not to allow 3 letter searches so when you change that setting you have to re-index the entire site (as Andi pointed out) so it then knows all of the 3 letter words that have ever been used. Considering the use of the word 'ham' you can imagine it takes quite a while ;)

Not quite that simple, as we use FULLTEXT MySQL searching, which actually calls MySQL commands to search the database (rather than the forum having it's own search index like phpBB did) so although the software was set to 3 characters, SQL wasn't, so it ignored it.

I've had to add the setting into the SQL server and flush the cache, then rebuild the index with the larger search terms.

It's slower - but kinda needed on this site, so it should be good to go now!

Lockage.