QuasiRob

Changing the radiator thermo switch on a VR6

Hi,

I have to fit a new radiator fan switch to my M reg VR6. I've got the new switch, I've found where it goes at the bottom of the radiator...how do I get the old one out?! I've taken the battery out but there isn't room to get an adjustable wrench around the switch. How did anyone else do it?

The nut part of the switch would fit a 28mm spanner.

Try from the bottom of the car. Last time I did it I had bumper and front panel removed from the car but was changing radiator at this same time so don't know if it's possible without removing this two things.

I managed it from the top easy enough and thats with aircon. You just need to use the right length extension bar to clear stuff for the wrench. It shouldnt be that tight in there so should only need a couple of goes on the wrench to loosen it sufficiently.

i can't get to mine for ****, been trying for ages, am taking rad out to do it when i get around to it, but only as i want to clean everything up anyway

Still can't get to it, I'm now looking for a box spanner (28mm I think) as there should be enough room for the width of that, though might have saw the end off to make it short enough to be able to get it on.

Can't use a socket cos of the length of the plastic bit on the end.

Edit - it actually seems to be a 1 1/8 inch (1.125) nut, 29mm might also work.

Edited by QuasiRob
Extra information

Finally got it out by cutting enough of the plastic part away with a hacksaw that I could get a 1 1/8 inch socket over it and unscrew it.

Ah after re-reading I remember I bought a special socket from GSF to do this. They sell a thermo switch socket that is deep enough to fit over the plastic plug.