Jim Bowen

Help with buying parts, where from?

Usually i have been going to VW dealers for everything but it seems that i don't need to buy all the parts from there.

Just wondering which of the following parts you would only replace with genuine VW parts, or if not where else should i look.

my list so far:

Accelerator Cable

Aux Belt for aircon, alternator etc

Engine/gearbox Mounts - Keep hearing these VT mounts being recommended

Under Bonnet insulation

Coolant temp senders, not sure what my aux water pump is up to or if its wrong.

For some of my problems i may just rebuild what i can on the car so its driveable then take to stealth or someone who knows whats what as i'm a bit lost on some areas. Like the aux water pump always coming on (its a new VW one so worried i may of ruined it)

Also my ABS system seems to be disconnected under the bonnet and the light in dash is cut to bits so never lights up.

Am looking at taking all the front end apart again, refitting all suspension, steering rack and probably the fixed column mod, thinking i may as well try and remove subframe and refurbish all that, does engine need to come out of car for that?

also thinking i should do the timing chains now, but wonder if thats worth it on 194,000miles, (knowing my luck i'd do them then the engine would fail on something else)

Its either sort all this lot out or split the car and sell in bits, but i would rather have 1 last attempt at sorting it out